Ginny and Georgia: The Controversies of Season 2

The+show+Ginny+and+Georgia+displayed+on+a+TV+at+a+students+house+on+February+16%2C+2023.+Season+2+of+this+show+is+controversial+due+to+the+adult+topics+in+a+show+for+teens.+

The show “Ginny and Georgia” displayed on a TV at a student’s house on February 16, 2023. Season 2 of this show is controversial due to the adult topics in a show for teens.

*SPOILERS* For anyone who hasn’t seen the show this will contain some spoilers from both seasons of “Ginny and Georgia”. 

*WARNING* If you haven’t seen the show and are planning to watch, this show contains sexual content, abuse, alcohol, smoking, self harm, racism, and murder.

The Netflix original series that came out in February of 2021, “Ginny and Georgia”, had its season 2 recently aired January 5, 2023. Starring Antonia Gentry as Ginny and Brianne Howey as Georgia, this show is about Virginia, also known as a fifteen year-old named Ginny, and her half-brother, Austin, who move away from Texas with their 30 year-old mom, Georgia. After moving away from Texas, they settle in a small town known as Wellsbury, New England so Georgia can give her kids the perfect life she never had, yet Georgia’s past seems to haunt her while affecting Ginny and Austin in different ways. 

After watching the show, I thought it was a great second season. The things I loved about it were how Ginny and Georgia’s relationship grew more as Georgia finally reveals her past and what she has gone through as a young, single mom. Speaking of Georgia, I thought she had the best character development out of all the characters in the show. In season one she had to hide everything from her past and that made her somewhat distant from Ginny and Austin like when she hid secrets about her murdering her ex-husband. But then in season two, she becomes more trusted and open to her kids which makes them have a closer relationship. The only thing I disliked about the show is Ginny and her friends. I feel like no one seems to realize they all have so much drama and issues with their own personal lives it doesn’t work out, making them all seem like they aren’t the perfect, close, trusting group of friends they all seem to be. Overall, the drama and the secrets and some slight comedy in there as well, make it a really good show for most teens to watch. 

However, there is an ongoing problem with the number of serious topics within this show that has been controversial considering it’s intended demographic is teenagers.These serious topics included in this show are self-harm, body dysmorphia, anxiety, depression, sexual content, drug use, and alcohol. I spoke to a parent about this issue on how they see this controversial issues they said, “Despite the drama for Hollywood entertainment, I think that there are a lot of things that depict what teenagers go through in a real-life setting such as depression, anxiety, self-harm, family fighting, troubles at school and with friends. there are lots of things that are accurate in a sense of what real life kids go through in a real high school setting.” There are so many serious topics and issues related to teenagers in “Ginny and Georgia” that aren’t talked about as much. “Nowadays a lot of those topics such as anxiety, depression, mental illness, family troubles… all of those things are very applicable to a teenager’s life today with social media, with pressures for grades at school, for family things that are difficult to deal with that they maybe don’t have an outlet for, those are all very relatable and are not seen as much in most shows but I think should be more in shows that are directed towards teenagers today.” the parent stated.

With this debatable show, we also wanted to see a student’s perspective of things. Students might agree or disagree with parents finding it uncomfortable for their kids to watch “Ginny and Georgia”. “It shows a lot but besides that, it’s a good show. It shows how you can deal with those certain situations.” a student said. When the student thought of debatable topics and their relevance in the show the student said “I don’t know. I think there are a couple of topics that they overdid in the show but other than that I don’t think it’s that bad it’s still a very good show.”Overall, I believe that this is a great “dramedy,” as they call it, and I hope there will be season three or more in the future.