Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

The Outstanding Freshmen of Demon Football

Dane+Mattlock+%289%29+catching+the+ball+between+the+40+and+30+yard+line.+Mattlock+is+playing+defensive+line+on+DHS+Varsity+makes+an+incredible+catch+to+get+the+ball+where+it+needs+to+go.+A+true+inspiration+to+young+athletes.+
Dane Mattlock (9) catching the ball between the 40 and 30 yard line. Mattlock is playing defensive line on DHS Varsity makes an incredible catch to get the ball where it needs to go. A true inspiration to young athletes.

Tenacity. Determination. Enthusiasm. Work. These are just some of the terms used to describe our team at DHS.

We’ve all heard about the incredible student athletes that make up the team of Demon Football. They’ve had many incredible seasons and they have many more to come. We have to commemorate the freshmen of this team that are extremely talented. Being a freshman and playing highschool football is a huge jump from middle school. But they do it, and they do it well. 

Dane Mattlock, a freshman at DHS that plays on the varsity team is an example of these talented freshmen we have on our football team. As a first year highschool student, Mattlock has learned a few things from playing with the older boys. When asked how the upperclassmen athletes have helped him through this experience, he said, “Pushing me to do good if I’ve messed up, just telling me good job…then on to the next play.” Mattlock is truly a big inspiration to all DHS athletes and there’s a reason why we wear his number on our cheeks at the games. 

Grady Feeney is a freshman who swings for varsity football. Swinging is when you get to play for two teams. In this case, Feeney plays on junior varsity and varsity. Playing with two different teams means two different groups of people and that means learning a lot of new skills. Getting to play on bigger teams is something that pushes these boys hard, “I’m in a group with more advanced people so I have to work harder to get to their standards.” These amazing opportunities have helped these freshmen push themselves harder and they should be proud of themselves.

Nicolina Lasher is a girl playing highschool football. Lasher is another really great example of an outstanding freshman who is a part of DHS football. Playing highschool football is already hard as is but being a girl adds new challenges. But Lasher doesn’t let those affect her and her love for the sport. She’s faced adversities through her football career but has learned a lot and learned more and more about her passion for the sport, “They all teach me to be the toughest I can be and make me excell in the knowledge of the sport but also being a player in it. But they’re all like older brothers to me who teach me to work hard.” Lasher is an inspiration to all women in sports showing that if some days you don’t feel like you’re good enough, know that you are. 

These freshmen of DHS football are true inspirations to young athletes. Please come and support them at the homecoming game!