Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

DHS Rocks: What’s the Hype?

Tomorrow marks an exhilarating day for Durango High School! With Spring Break on the horizon, our annual talent show, “DHS Rocks!” is ready to light up the stage. This event features a dazzling array of performances by both students and teachers, showcasing their remarkable talents.

But what lies at the heart of DHS Rocks? According to Jordan Davis, a junior on the DHS Rocks student council committee, the event “is a school-wide talent show organized by the student council to showcase the extraordinary talents of our student body!” She further explains that all funds raised contribute directly to the “DHS Cares Fund,” providing support to students and families in need. From covering electrical bills and rent to providing winter jackets and food, the DHS community stands together to offer support to those in need. Additionally, Davis highlights the timing of DHS Rocks, serving as a vibrant celebration to wrap up the first quarter and kick-start spring with positive vibes after the start of the second semester. The goal for the 2024 DHS Rocks committee is clear: to host an engaging, organized event that showcases the talents of DHS students and staff!

Delving into the lineup for DHS Rocks, some performers were kind enough to share insights into their upcoming acts. Mr. Batiste, an iconic teacher at DHS, hints at a performance that will get us grooving, along with bars that will be spit with absolute fire. Calvin Marshall, a talented senior, promises a special form of art: live music. “Live music is such a special form of art,” Marshall explains, “and it feels like it’s dying out. We have an amazing opportunity to share this music and create a bond with the audience that few things can recreate.” Meanwhile, sophomore Denny Woods hints at an exciting guitar performance, promising to shred on stage. Who else is wondering if Woods will emulate Jimi Hendrix and rip out some chords with his guitar behind his back?

I, for one, am eagerly anticipating these legendary performances after hearing so many intriguing clues about what’s in store at DHS Rocks tomorrow! I also challenge each of you to meet (if not exceed) the $25 fundraising goal. Let’s reciprocate support to others and witness DHS students rock the stage. (No pun intended… Did it roll right over your head?)