Voice of the Students

El Diablo

• DHS Cheerleaders putting pink ribbon over the front of their homecoming float on 2nd ave and 5th street. At the homecoming parade on October 17, 2023 clubs and groups needed to complete their floats before showing them off downtown.

Features

Homecoming Parade Preparation

• The cast of Troupe 1096’s production of The Hobbit at an after-school rehearsal on September 28, 2023. With the whole play nearly memorized, the cast is well on its way to making this a wonderful show.

Arts & Entertainment

Troupe 1096: Why should you join?

• Picture taken at Durango High School on Friday, October 20, showing part of the welding room. This picture only shows the entrance of the room and not the workshop.

Features

What is CTE? And what does it offer?

• This is a picture of a list of things that a DHS student has to do over the weekend, and was taken on Friday, October 20th. It shows a method that students can use to keep track of the work they have to do.

Features

Techniques For Time Management

• Picture taken on Wednesday, October 11, 2023, this picture was taken by Kyle Montgomery during a lab to learn more about the EMT pathway. This event was hosted at DHS during enrichment.

Features

What is HOSA?

• At his coming home parade and party at Buckley Park on Oct 19, 2023 Sepp Kuss (middle) signed autographs for hundreds of local fans.

Features

How Growing up in Durango Fostered Vuelta a España winner Sepp Kuss’ Success

• Paloma Romero in downtown Durango, with Coldstones Pumpkin pie batter and vanilla ice cream.

Features

The Best Artisan Ice Cream of Durango Colorado: A Comparative Piece

• Student Submissions

Student Submission Form

• The school’s marching band performs their showcase “Heist” on the football field on October 14, 2023.

Arts & Entertainment

DHS Marching Band: From Showcase to Competition

• Dane Mattlock (9) catching the ball between the 40 and 30 yard line. Mattlock is playing defensive line on DHS Varsity makes an incredible catch to get the ball where it needs to go. A true inspiration to young athletes.

Features

The Outstanding Freshmen of Demon Football

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

What to expect from the Impact Career Innovation Center

Impact+Career+Center+under+construction%2C+October+2023.+
Impact Career Center under construction, October 2023.

The Impact Career Center is committed to offering students career and technical education. The building will primarily be used for the college program CTE (Career and Technical Education) courses, student leadership programs, and hands-on experiences. If you are unsure or just want to experience a career path, taking a course at the center would be a valuable opportunity for you.

The Career Center is a two-story building designed to be modern yet sustainable. Kristi Lewis, the CTE coordinator for Durango Schools states, “The concept around the building was to ensure it didn’t look outdated in 20 years. Hence, all the flexible moving walls and the type of furniture in there. It’s modern but can move as time moves.” On the first floor, you’ll find collaboration spaces, a cafe, and a common area with a capacity of 300 people. The second floor consists of a maker space, collaboration room, a pitch room where ideas will be presented, and two small technology rooms that can be combined. The center will provide 30 Macbooks, live streaming with global connectivity, printers, and design machinery. 

The center provides experiential learning due to being centered around problem-solving rather than test-taking. Hands-on education can cater to personal learning styles and promote engagement. Lewis claims, “It’s designed around a process, not a classroom. Am I solving a problem from a design perspective? Do I need to define the problem? Do I need to reiterate what we’ve created?” Students will step outside a classroom setting and enter a more creative space, which allows them to brainstorm, prototype, and test their designs. Not only will this spark engagement, but it will also prepare students to work professionally in their careers. Students can also participate in career and technical organizations, which will provide a platform where students operate their businesses and open their services to the community. Along with the student-run organization, collaboration with business owners will foster entrepreneurship. Morgan Kraska, a CTE teacher shares, “The Impact Center will provide students with new and innovative opportunities to work on real-world projects with industry leaders. Doing so will provide a space for students to use design cycle thinking to solve creative problems collaboratively.” Joining a CTE class will allow you to connect with others with the same interests, develop leadership skills, and learn how to work in a professional atmosphere. Along with learning skills, it aids students in securing specific employment opportunities. Marilyn Long, a CTE teacher reported, “The purpose of CTE is to give you skills so you can get a job right out of high school. For example, in intermediate vet science if they can pass an exam they will receive a certificate to start working as a vet tech right out of high school.” Taking the opportunity to explore and experience different career paths will benefit students as it helps them adjust and prepare for the workplace or college environment. “It will give you insights and connections to the community to not only explore your career but actually test it out.”

Students at DHS have the opportunity to have a unique learning experience that will connect them to the community and workplace. Don’t miss out on this valuable hands-on learning opportunity and take a CTE course.