Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Troupe 1096: Why should you join?

The cast of Troupe 1096’s production of The Hobbit at an after-school rehearsal on September 28, 2023. With the whole play nearly memorized, the cast is well on its way to making this a wonderful show.

At DHS, there are many different clubs to join, with Troupe 1096 being a very popular option. This theater organization, headed by Ben Mattson and Jenny Fitts Reynolds, puts on three major productions per school year which are very important to the student body. 

Arii Crowl, the freshman playing Gandalf in The Hobbit states, “It’s a ton of fun, it’s such a great community and everyone is so nice, I can not recommend it more.” 

As a freshman in a lead role, there is lots of pressure put on Crowl, but the troupe community is there to back them up every step of the way. Crowl is also helping to build the set, which they say has been very fulfilling.

The Troupe’s publicity manager Will Reynolds says, “With all freshmen in the troupe, it’s easy to get along, act like I’ve known them for years, whereas in the school it’s way harder to do that with freshmen. We have almost completely eliminated that divide.” Reynolds is a senior who has been participating in theater since his sophomore year. He, along with many other upperclassmen have become mentors for the freshmen, and that is something made possible by theater.

Mrs. Reynolds, co-director of the troupe commented, “It’s really fun because a lot of my former students at Miller, I get to continue to work with them, and I get to see them grow up.” Fitts has been doing theater her whole life, now she works as both an eighth grade teacher and a director. Seeing kids flourish in high school is one of her favorite things about working with the troupe.

Fitts encourages interested students to, “Come on by, come see a show, come stop by a Saturday set day, talk to kids in the troupe. There are many ways to get involved.”

Troupe 1096 provides a creative outlet for many students, with many different skill sets to improve. If you are interested in joining, come talk to Mr. Mattson, the other co-director of the troupe, or audition for the next performance. The first production of the year, The Hobbit, will be showing from November 3-11. Come swing by and show your support for the troupe!