Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

What is HOSA?

Picture taken on Wednesday, October 11, 2023, this picture was taken by Kyle Montgomery during a lab to learn more about the EMT pathway. This event was hosted at DHS during enrichment.

HOSA is a club at Durango High School, and is based around those who want to follow the medical pathway. This club is an amazing opportunity for students pursuing a career in the medical field or for students who want to learn more about the medical pathway.

Kyle Montgomery, the teacher for HOSA, talks about all the different careers that they explore,  “The goal of the pathway is to provide the basic medical knowledge and understanding of a lot of different medical professions and not specialize into one.”

Being in HOSA lets you explore different medical pathways and lets students find something in the medical pathway they are interested in. The club is filled with amazing opportunities for students to further their learning in the medical pathway. 

Madeline Dubois, learning lab coordinator for HOSA, tells us about the most recent event that the club has done  “We worked with Durango Fire Department and Upper Pines to do a simulation where we had patients and then we had people coming in and we learn what happens when an EMT arrives.“

The events that the club hosts are an amazing opportunity for the students to meet with people in the medical field, allowing them to see what professionals do in their field. HOSA is an amazing opportunity in the school because it allows students to get certifications for the work that they do.

Nick Estrada, a HOSA student with his EMT certificate, talks about the certificate he has and what he is doing right now in HOSA, “I’m taking the highest level class which is the CCMA class, Certified Clinical Medical Assistant.”

HOSA offers many opportunities for students to progress into the medical pathway by getting certificates, learning more about the medical field in general, and having professionals come once a month to show students what they should expect in that pathway. Students at DHS should look into not only HOSA but the other clubs that the school offers and learn about what they offer.