Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

DHS Marching Band: From Showcase to Competition

The school’s marching band performs their showcase “Heist” on the football field on October 14, 2023.

With all but one of the home football games out of the way, the DHS marching band is moving on to other things. The recent state marching band competition as well as the showcase have marked very important yearly milestones for the band program.

Alex Finley, the director of the DHS band, stated that, “Our most recent show in Grand Junction went really well! We participate in this competition every year and this year we earned our highest score ever, and compared to other bands of similar size (right around 60 students) we do very well. Plus we always have a good time regardless!”

This was the band’s first competition of the year, and it certainly won’t be the last. Competitions are central to marching band, and that along with the showcase is making for a very busy month. Finley has been doing band for most of his life, and directing at DHS for 7 years. Despite the band being small for the size of our school, Finley has led them to some great successes.

The showcase is very important for the band, as it allows them to show off without the added distraction of a football game. This year’s showcase is called ‘Heist’, and was a joy to watch. The passion of both the kids and the director shines through in every aspect. The band has worked incredibly hard to put this all together and had lots of fun along the way.

Bettie Stivers, a freshman percussionist for the marching band states, “My favorite part of being in band is being able to meet other people who share a common love for music along with being able to openly talk about almost any subject.” 

The band community at DHS is incredible, with many kids finding a family within the program. The marching band has done amazing things so far this year, performing excellently at competitions and with their showcase. Stivers has been a part of band throughout elementary and middle school, and the program at DHS has allowed them to enjoy new music and new friendships in an accepting environment.

DHS senior Grace McCrady, who is one of two drum majors stated, “I really love how close most of us are and how we have mutual respect for each other even if we aren’t the closest of friends. It’s really like a big family.”

McCrady’s job as a drum major includes conducting the band during shows, keeping everything organized, and making sure everything runs as smoothly as possible. This job is very fulfilling for her, despite taking up a lot of time. Working alongside Finley and the drum majors has been a joy for everyone in band, and being a part of the band family is fun for everyone involved.

This marching band season has been very exciting and successful so far, and there is still more to come. They will be playing at the homecoming game and participating in the parade, as well as competing at a regional competition the same week. You can support the DHS band by attending their events year-round, which is much appreciated by students and directors alike.