Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Voice of the Students

El Diablo

Exploring all Corners of the Globe: The Crucial Importance of School Travel for Students

A photo of an informational email DHS students receive from Infinite Campus giving the details on upcoming trips taken on October 10, 2023.

You may be well acquainted with your small town, your school, and the community around you, but your education and experiences stretch far beyond the city limits of Durango. Luckily, many teachers at Durango High School are aware of this fact, and students are fortunate enough to be offered many opportunities to travel abroad with a DHS teacher. The chance is there for you to take, but why should you go so far outside of your comfort zone? Well, you may find that when you exit your comfort zone, you enter into enriching your life. 

Krista Karpel, a visual arts teacher at DHS, is leading an expedition to Paris in the spring of 2024. When asked why students should consider doing trips with the school, she points out that, “international travel helps students really develop a global mindset and global perspectives that are going to be critical to students’ success in any career they choose in their future.” 

Humans as a whole are an interconnected species, we are a global society. But growing up in, or living in, a small town like Durango can narrow your mindset. However, when you break out of your bubble and experience the world, you gain experiences that help you to think globally. A skill which, as Karpel pointed out, can be favorable for many aspects of future life. 

Another trip to France in 2025 is being led by DHS French teacher, Laine Barrand. Leading a trip like this can be very difficult and stressful, but teachers continue to offer this amazing opportunity to students despite that. Barrand has decided to pilot this expedition anyway, as she, “can’t wait to see these students fully immersed in French culture and language.” Especially for language teachers, taking students to a foreign country can be a great way for them to further the learning they have been doing inside of the classroom. It can give them real world experience using a language they have been learning. 

Teachers aren’t the only big part of these trips, however. Without the students, schools would have no reason to even offer these opportunities. Dylan Haley, a sophomore at DHS, attended a school led trip to Costa Rica last summer, summer of 2023. It takes a lot for students to go on these trips, as they need to raise money and prepare, but Haley says that, “experiencing cultures other than the American ideal is crucial to becoming a well rounded student and human being.”

International travel offers experiences that students can sparsely find by simply staying where they are. It broadens horizons, fosters cultural understanding, and cultivates essential life skills that will be very useful to student’s futures. In an increasingly globalized society, international travel is not merely an option, but rather an investment in personal growth, learning opportunities, and invaluable experiences. When opportunities like this surround you, one must jump at the chance to not only shape your own future but also to contribute to a more interconnected, and harmonious world. So, instead of asking, “why should I travel,” start asking, “where to first?”