Don’t Worry, Summer is Just Around the Corner: Summer Plans and Ideas at DHS

A+sunset+in+Durango%2C+Colorado+downtown+on+11th+street.+Taken+by+a+DHS+student.+

A sunset in Durango, Colorado downtown on 11th street. Taken by a DHS student.

As spring is coming in, the stress of finals and AP exams come along with it. But the thing to look forward to is summer! Summer is a season full of opportunities to try new things and make unforgettable memories. Summer is a time for warm weather and longer days, making it the perfect time to engage in outdoor activities, traveling, and learning new skills.

If you are stumped on what things to do this summer, here are a few ideas. One of the things you can do is travel. Summer is the perfect time to travel and explore new places. Whether you want to go to the beach, mountains, or other countries, summer is the best time to do it. You can go on a road trip, fly to a new destination, or take a cruise. Traveling allows you to experience new cultures, cuisines and scenery.

Summer is also a good time to enjoy outdoor activities. Some outdoor activities you can try are hiking, camping, biking, swimming, surfing, and kayaking. Outdoor activities are not only fun but also good for your health. You are able to get some good exercise and get some fresh air, which can boost your mood and overall well-being.

Lastly, summer can be a great time to learn new skills. Try taking a cooking class, learn a new language, or maybe take on a new hobby. Summer is the ideal time to engage in personal development activities, since you have more free time. Learning new skills can be rewarding and can also help you in your personal and professional life. 

Students at Durango High School have some plans for the upcoming summer as well. Students like Lou McKennie, a senior at Durango High School, tells El Diablo News about her summer plans. McKennie said she likes summer because, “I get to hang out with my friends a lot more.” McKennie also claimed that she likes to stay cool in the summer by using the “air conditioning.” Her favorite outdoor activities are “ boating, paddle boarding, water skiing, tubing etc.” A freshmen student, Molly Bertrand, also shares her fun summer plans “I plan mainly to chill out with my family and friends. I am doing a bunch of volleyball camps and a mission trip. The biggest trip this summer I’m doing is a Colorado tour in my family’s camper,” Bertrand said. She said she was “super excited for the warm weather of the summer and relaxation. I am also looking forward to having no stress of school until next year.” Bertrand claimed that she stays cool in the summer by “staying near the air conditioning and making sure to wear plenty of sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses.” She also said she “likes playing volleyball and swimming in our pond and other lakes. Hiking and biking are other activities I enjoy.” Lastly, another freshman student, Spencer Zogg, tells El Diablo about his summer plans and things he is looking forward to. “I am planning on hanging out with friends, going to various camps and preparing for next year. I will also be going on a variety of hikes in Silverton.” Zogg claimed, “ I feel like summer is the only time to do anything fun that you want to do.” He also stated that the way he stays cool during hot summer days is, “Water!! I also will consume Otter Pops like a maniac to stay cold. Also, the AC will be my best friend all summer.” Zogg said his favorite outdoor activities are “Hiking, sports, rafting/tubing in the river, and playing with my dog.” 

Summer has a plethora of opportunities to explore, learn, and relax. Whether you choose to travel, engage in outdoor activities, or learn new skills, there are plenty of reasons to embrace the summer season. So make the most of your summer and create unforgettable memories that you will cherish forever.