Seniors Walk the Hall to Graduation

Emma Buchanan, Reporter

Freshman year, Senior Hall seemed like an untouchable sacred ground. Senior year, however, the ‘untouchable sacred ground’ becomes a beacon of hope reminding everyone that there is an end to high school.

“I always felt like I shouldn’t walk down Senior Hall as a freshman. It signified a sort of ‘rites-of-passage’ thing for me,” said Sr. Katelyn Craig.

Walking Senior Hall, finally basking in seniority, reminds seniors that in a few months, they all, or at least all but the questionable few, will graduate.

“For me, Senior Hall simply symbolizes senior year,” said Craig.

Which is a good thing, until Senioritis kicks in, and walking down the symbolistic hall becomes more and more painful.

Senioritis is defined by the Urban Dictionary as “a crippling disease that strikes high school seniors. Symptoms include: laziness, an over-excessive wearing of track pants, old athletic shirts, sweatpants and sweatshirts. Also features a lack of studying, repeated absences, and a generally dismissive attitude. The only known cure is the phenomenon known as Graduation.”

Not all seniors are afflicted with this disease, yet, but give it a few months, maybe week, and there will be an exponential increase.

The hallway is bigger, less cramped and in a pretty accessible spot, unlike most of the hallways at DHS.

Photos by Blake McClain

“I think its important for seniors to have their own space in the school that isn’t hard to get to,” said Fr. Sierra Kelly.

In the hall, however, there is an alphabetical cripple for those whose last name starts with the beginning letters of the alphabet.

“My locker has never been in a convenient spot. It’s a bigger hallway which is nice, but, yeah, it’s just another hallway,” said Craig.

It may be a simple hallway, but it’s the last DHS hallway the seniors will call theirs.