2019 Girl’s Soccer Recap

Georgia Mynatt, Reporter

The 2018-19 girls soccer season so far has been one to remember. Early mornings, late nights, strenuous training, and consistent hard work are just a few things that have gone into this Durango High School soccer season. Every individual player has sacrificed so much for the success of the team and has so much passion for the sport.

Soccer is more than just a game. It’s something that brings students together, teaches life lessons and prepares kids for their future. The seniors on the team are starting to reflect on what the game means to them.

“To me, soccer is more than just a sport, it is what inspires me to never give up on something you care about. It’s the reason I never quit what I’ve already started,” said Sr. and center mid Charlotte Hale. This is Hale’s last year playing for the Demons. Hale has incredible drive and is essential to the Demon offense.

“You can’t only think of yourself when you play soccer. I always tell myself: play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the one on back,” said Krull. As a sophomore, Clara Krull has also done some reflecting on the lessons she’s learned from soccer. Her understanding of the game goes beyond tactics and skill.

“The athleticism on this team is crazy and the dedication and work ethic these kids have is outstanding,” said Berzins. Jonathan Berzins, the Demons head coach, has had a lot of faith in this year’s team. He has high hopes for the playoffs and believes this team has something special.

DHS has exceptional athletes that will go on to do big things in their future. However, having those special qualities does not come easy. Players endure a very demanding training schedule with the girls practicing everyday after school and traveling every weekend.

“It’s hard to keep up with school sometimes. We have traveled so much this season that it gets overwhelming. But I love soccer, and know that learning how to deal with multiple things on my plate at once is a good thing,” said So. Maddy McManus.  

The Lady Demons currently hold a record of five wins and three loses. Their season has already been filled with heartbreaking losses and sweet victories. With a new coach, the girls have had more success than last year and have surprised themselves.

“Our hardest competition this year in just our normal league has been Fruita. They are very well rounded and have a really good forward that we just can’t stop,” said Berzins. Fruita is ranked 26th in 5A colorado schools. The Lady Demons know that if they make it to the playoffs, they will face many teams at the same level as Fruita, or even better. Durango needs to stay focused and driven in order to beat these talented teams.

In many ways, soccer is just like life. It requires perseverance, self denial, hard work, sacrifice, and dedication. The sport provides a healthy, effective learning environment for many kids at Durango High School and exemplifies the Demon way. It allows students to be a part of team working towards a common goal.

Author: El Diablo