Bucket List for Your Summer

Havens Webster, Reporter

As a Durango local, there are so many exciting activities to do all year round, but especially in the summer. Whether you enjoy staying in Durango or wish to spend your time in nearby attractions like Meow Wolf in Santa Fe, NM or Lake Powell in Arizona, this summer has lots of potential.

“I love to spend time with friends and family, go on runs, and just unwind during the summer months.” said Fr. Tommy Pope.

Tommy, a member of the DHS track team and cross country team, enjoys running and being outside in the summer. The Animas River Trail and the many beautiful mountains such as Engineer, Colorado Trail, Ice Lakes, and more surrounding Durango have trails to hike and run on. As he mentioned, summer is a good time for everyone to relax and destress after a long, hard school year.

Definitely be outside as much as you can; ride bikes, go swimming, hike, just be in nature.” said So. Maddie Marshall.

If you enjoy hiking, then go take your dogs for a walk or go with friends and family to one of the many trails and go explore. Hiking is great exercise and allows you to explore new places making fun memories. If you are an animal lover, then you can go to the Humane Society and volunteer to walk one of their friendly dogs.

I don’t usually work during summer, but this summer I plan to get a job to make extra money and meet new people,.” said Maddie.

Most teens choose to get summer jobs since they have more time during the summer, and it’s a great time to make lots of money and get community service hours. Many local restaurants and businesses downtown hire lots of teens over the summer as the college students go home and they need new employees.

I don’t work over the summer, but I am in the TRIO program so for two months in the summer I am at the college doing classes and sleeping in the dorms,” said Aubrey.

If you have interests about your future career and want to explore the possibilities of being in the work environment, you might be interested in internships. Internships are also a great way to earn community service hours, which are a graduation requirement, as freshman and sophomores this year need sixty hours and juniors and seniors need twenty hours. They also help you get a feel for what your future career could be.  

“I recommend anything that has to do with water because in the hot summer water is the best place to be,” said So. Aubrey Lowe.

Last year, Lake Nighthorse,a beautiful, fun lake close to town where you can go paddleboarding, swimming, boating, opened. Right in the center of town, there is the refreshing and convenient Animas River, where you can go tubing, rafting, and kayaking.

Make sure to have a restful and fun summer getting lots of time outside, enjoying the sun, hanging out with friends and family, and if you want to get some extra cash then a job. Being outdoors has proven to benefit your mental health, can fight depression, improves your ability to focus, and lowers blood pressure. We live in a beautiful place with many opportunities for fun and adventure. Take advantage of our surroundings this summer and get refreshed to start the new year this upcoming fall!