What Makes A Good Coach?

What Makes A Good Coach?

By Abbey Hunt

Coaches and Student athletes have different ideas when it comes to the qualities needed in a coach to lead a successful team as a whole.

So. football player, Kyler Reimers, spoke his mind on what he looks for in a successful; coach; “I want a good leader, someone that’s strict, but knows me and how to push me above and beyond.” But what negative qualities may coaches have that make it hard to improve? “When coaches don’t really know what they’re coaching, and when they coach you wrong or think that size is everything”

Kyler has been playing football all of his middle and high school years. He’s played for eight years, and six positions (Defensive End, Tight End, Fullback, Tackle, Guard, and Center). “Way long ago, I played T-ball and Soccer. Wish I could go back to those days” Kyler jokes.

“Past and previous coaches have helped me off the field with family crises, been there for me and helped me to unleash my full potential.” he explains. “This gave me motivation knowing my coaches cared about my personal life as well.”

High school coaches are clearly different than college and NFL coaches.  “College and NFL coaches are way more strict than coaches here because they don’t have any rules with the players in high school and you can’t do as much stuff,” he says. “Like at some of the college camps I went to, they get up in your face and curse at you, yell at you, and here they can’t do that. We can’t cut people on our high school team either, but there, if you miss a day of practice you’re cut. Nothing here happens if you do that.”

This year’s new assistant Cross Country coach, Brett Rein, has words to say about what good qualities a coach needs. “I think the most important thing a coach can do is care. Care about the student athletes they are working with. I know for me, I care a lot and get frustrated if others don’t. After that, developing a program as far as running, that’s easy.” He says.

This is Brett’s first year of coaching cross country at a high school level. “I ran cross country in highschool, but only one year. I was a hockey player first and it was a lot of fun. I was captain of the hockey team one year and played D1 Rugby. I’ve had nine concussions from it!” Brett says. “I’ve coached strength and conditioning programs, I’ve led tours for groups of 50 teenagers at a time, I’ve had a lot of group management experience, but this is my first year coaching cross country.”

“I love working with student athletes. That was my favorite part by far. I love being able to support people who have needed me, I love being able to be there for people.” He explains. “ I think the hard part of it is working with other coaches where if you all see things the same way, and you’re not the one making decisions, it can be a little frustrating…”

Coaching isn’t all about teaching your athletes though, they themselves can learn a lot from their students. “So far, I’ve learned that there is so much more to coaching any sport than the x’s and o’s. Yeah, It’s important to make sure that you’re teaching the student athletes how to be a better runner, work on their stride, pacing and mechanics, but there’s so much more.  High school sports are an experience, being a part of a team is an experience, having leadership positions is an experience, when you’re coaching you have an opportunity to open up a door to give your students all these different skills they don’t learn in the classroom, it’s important to be able to make sure that that’s a part of the program. “ he explains.

Athletes are dependent on their coaches for a sense of direction and improvement in their sport, whatever that may be, but coaches are also dependent on their student athletes as well for their continuous growth. . How a coach acts and his techniques of coaching have an effect on their students and community, as a student’s motivation directly depicts their coaches belief in them.

Author: El Diablo