Painting vs.Watercolor: why seperated?

At DHS, the two art subjects of painting and watercolor are separated into two classes, despite seeming to be very similar. Are they worthy of their own class or should they save resources and student time by having one class?

For students who are art aficionados, it seems to work out well. Student painters who believe the two subjects to be similar enough could enjoy the fact that they get two of the subjects they love out of the same class, but non-art students who think the classes are the same could find the combined subjects impractical for their schedules.

Krista Karpel, the teacher of both subjects at DHS, thinks of the separation as justified because according to her, they are too hard to teach together.

“Harder, because they have completely different techniques and processes and that’s why they are separated,” said Karpel.

She believes that having them apart makes it easier to go into the different processes and techniques more in-depth instead if they were combined just making things too general for students to really comprehend.

Though they aren’t exactly the same, separating the two painting classes does make things impractical for some students who automatically are put into an art class by the algorithm used to fill students schedules.

So. Ryan Flora, who has been placed into nine art classes from 9th to 10th grade thinks the two classes being separate is totally unnecessary.

“I’ve taken both classes, same principles, same elements, we do the same thing… it’s very impractical,” said Flora.

Non-artist students who want to take AP classes or subjects that are more fitting could find the algorithmic scheduling conflicting for their interest if they are put into art classes they believe are the same. So if painting and watercolor are separate for good, does that mean students who don’t necessarily want excessive art classes just have to accept their chosen pathway?

Not all the current art students find painting and watercolor separated as a burden or impractical for their schedules, in fact, the majority probably don’t even think of it as an issue. Whether justified or not some think it’s nice to have them apart because it’s just another art class where they get to enjoy what they love doing.

So. Taiya Peterson, who has painting and watercolor in her daily schedule, thinks they are practically the same with techniques and principles but are different when it comes to what the daily task is like.

“For painting, we paint every day but here (watercolor) it’s just learning how different techniques are,” said Peterson.

It’s not like the watercolor class doesn’t actually paint, as the painting class does every day, but they instead take time to go over all the basic techniques needed to make sure students are following the correct steps.

The separation of painting and watercolor at DHS seems to be a conflict for some, and a necessity to others. To solve the issue of impracticality, the scheduling algorithm may need to be fixed to ensure non-art students don’t get stuck in a few painting classes they believe to be the same or don’t enjoy. For art lovers, they can continue to enjoy the opportunity to be signed to both classes in their school year.

Author: El Diablo