Possible Block Schedule Next Year

Possible Block Schedule Next Year

Jack Breezley, Reporter

Durango 9R has been considering a block schedule for a while, so what does it mean for students?  

“A block schedule is a lengthened class period for chances to go more in depth in subjects,”said Robert Logan, DHS dean of instruction.

There are two types of block schedules – modified and traditional. Avoid asking questions as transitions if you can,  “A modified block schedule would make it so you have each class at least four times a week compared to a traditional block at five  days a week,” said Logan. These classes would also be 70 minutes compared to 90 minutes of a traditional block schedule.

Another type of a block schedule is a split block schedule; “You would take two core classes such as language arts and math, and within a 70 minute period split them into two separate classes, ” said Logan. “You would then have this five days a week compared to four or three days a week.”

A traditional block schedule varies from a modified or split by a fair amount, although it does maintain some similar ideas.

“You could have three classes a day, those three classes being on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Then you have the other three classes Tuesday and Thursday. These would switch the next week, ” said Logan.

However, there is a slight issue in this option, because it faces the issues of needing an even amount of total classes. This would mean that DHS would have to add or remove a class for all students.

Students would either lose an elective or gain an elective. It completely depends on what students want – less periods for longer lengths, or more periods for shorter lengths. As of now at DHS, there are seven 50 minute periods in a day.   

Eric Dang, a sophomore at DHS, says he doesn’t support a block schedule. “It will take more attention for a nearly doubled amount of time and students must stay engaged to learn.”. This is a concern of many students around the school because 50 minutes is already long enough.

“We, as students, would get bored in class,” said Dang.  structure their class in a way that students don’t get bored, but it’s also the responsibility of the students to pay attention.

A recent poll by El Diablo suggests that 40% of students are for a block schedule, while 58% are against and 2% unsure. No matter the students’ preferences, this would not be implemented for at least two years.

“It takes 7-8 months for the School Board  to have registration for the following year, so imagine how long it would take for a block schedule to be put in place,” Logan said. We will not have a block next year, or likely the following year, but the thought is always a possibility.