The New and Old faces of Math

Havens Webster, Reporter

This school year, Durango High school welcomed lots of new teachers to the staff. Despite new additions, the staff also consists of numerous teachers who have committed many years of their careers to helping DHS students to succeed in their futures. Two teachers among the staff, Tara Haller and Kaylee Wright, show perspectives of the experienced and familiar.

Tara Haller is truly a DHS veteran. She moved to Durango from Greeley, CO when she saw a job opportunity available at DHS and wanted to move back to the mountains. She has worked in the DHS math department for 24 years.

“I do think Durango High school has a rigorous math curriculum…asking students to engage and think more deeply about solving problems” said Haller.

Members of the DHS faculty truly are passionate about what they teach. “I had always done well in math…I thought of it because of a suggestion from my dad.” said Haller.

Ms. Haller chose to teach high school students because they are hitting their peak in their education and high school helps us get into college and start our lives, and she loves to watch high school students grow and find themselves.

“I really enjoy the energy and creativity of high school students.” said Haller.

Kaylee Wright is a new face in the DHS math department. Originally from Ohio, she’s been back and forth to Durango twice. Wright taught at DHS previously before she moved back to Ohio, then returned to Durango and taught at Escalante before missing the community and kindness of DHS.

“Middle school teaching is more helping the kids develop the skills, but high school teaching is more fine tuning.” said Wright.

Since Wright has worked in a different high school in Ohio, she can compare the positives and negatives of each curriculum. The DHS curriculum is more broad than other high schools, who have a specific path that all the students follow.

“The curriculum in Ohio is more standard than the DHS one, there are more opportunities and options in classes here” said Wright on the DHS math curriculum.

At DHS, there is a hard and critical thinking type of curriculum with the MVP packets the students work on that contain real world problems so the problems seem more important and students understand more how math can help out in real life.

There are 11 math teachers here at DHS and every one of them tries their best every day to teach as much as possible. The math department works very hard to help students learn and help students succeed in their futures.