Review of “Crazy Rich Asians

Rush Webster, Reporter

By: Rush Webster

From Hidden Figures to Black Panther, to Coco, these past few years have witnessed a significant increase in Hollywood’s representation of minority groups in big features. Crazy Rich Asians are no exception, and despite its outstanding soundtrack, spot-on casting, and breathtaking cinematography, the greatest credit it can receive is in regard to its extraordinary representation of Asian and Asian-American people.

“I don’t think it’s happened before [in Hollywood] that a movie has had all Asian characters,” said So. Lilly Tichi.

This development may be indicative of a larger societal change in action; said Social Studies teacher Leigh Gozigian, “[the] representation of Asians in popular culture as well as other perceived minorities…[is a] direct reflection of the demographic shifts that we have seen in American over the last couple decades.”

This shift is becoming apparent with the increase of ethnic diversity in other forms of media, beginning to more accurately reflect our population and the many different racial groups that constitute it.

However, it is not just the diversity that makes this movie so noteworthy, but the light in which it depicts Asian culture and identity. The grandeur and prestige that Asia is associated with this film show us an entirely different lens through which to view these civilizations and cultures that are not often depicted as such in American media.

Directed by Jon M. Chu and starring prominent Hollywood talents such as Constance Wu and Henry Golding, it is no surprise that Crazy Rich Asians has smashed the box office.

“It’s so cool to see an all-Asian movie be so successful, it was really funny and not cheesy like some romantic comedies are,” said So. Chloe Ragsdale.

It has thus received an overwhelmingly positive response from the public. Its 93% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes on top of being the first romcom in over three years to top $20 million in its first week has proven that putting a unique twist on the traditional structure of such a classic cinematic genre can be very successful and rewarding when done well.

Crazy Rich Asians follow the story of Rachel Chu, a newly engaged NYU professor who accompanies her fiance, Nick Young, to Singapore to attend his best friend’s wedding. Upon arrival, Rachel discovers that he comes from an incredibly wealthy and well-known family in the upper strata of Singapore society. Rachel is unwillingly thrust into a cutthroat world of romantic and social competition and judgment as she struggles to recognize her place among these wealthy aristocrats and seek the approval of her “crazy rich” inlaws.

Various aspects of the film such as the soundtrack, casting, and cinematography especially aid in the portrayal of various themes and topics addressed in the movie. The symphonic blend of Chinese and American music symbolizes the quintessential nobility and elegance of uniquely Asian-American culture. The glamorous cinematography also illustrates the ancient wealth and glamour of Asian societies and the old generation families that carry with them the rich history of such civilizations.

“I think that everyone would enjoy this movie,” said Tichi, “it is hilarious. You don’t have to be Asian to enjoy it.”          Crazy Rich Asians undoubtedly appeal to a wide audience with its selection of emotional romance, gripping drama, and great ethnic representation; and its impressive success will hopefully fuel the ever-growing movement of Hollywood diversification.