Where Are DHS Students From 20 Years Ago?

Abbey Hunt

Ever wonder how much the world has changed in the past 20 years? Everything from technology to style has morphed as time passed, but what how has the DHS school environment changed? El Diablo interviewed past students to see what has changed.

Bruce Hamer, former DHS student, now works as a police officer for the school. “I think it’s awesome working for the high school I graduated from” said Hamer. “It’s changed a lot, but I like seeing the students being happy and looking forward to developing their careers.”

Hamer graduated from DHS about 15  years ago, and sees a difference in students from today and his high school years. “We didn’t have any social media back then,” said Hamer. “But we did want to have fun. We enjoyed hanging out with our friends and sports.”

Officer Hamer was a linebacker for DHS and stayed busy playing baseball and wrestling, along with working a lot. After asked what he thought he would do after graduating “I thought I was going to be wealthy” joked Hamer.

“I actually graduated from CSU with a microbiology degree and a minor in chemistry” said Hamer. “I worked in the biopharmaceutical industry for ten years, and then I moved back to Durango. Now I’m in law enforcement.”

“I loved the job there (Denver), but I had to live in a city, which I thought would be awesome. However, I really missed  family and living in the small town, so I ended up changing careers and moving back home” said Hamer. “When I was your age, I could not wait to leave this town. It was great for a while, but once I went to a big city as an adult I got tired of traffic and everything else.”

“I like all the people I work with. I like making a positive difference in society, helping people to make their life better, which is my goal. I like keeping the kids safe, that’s what’s important.”

As for advice for students nearing leaving home, Hamer advises,  “Follow your dreams and persevere. Don’t give up. I mean, you face a lot of challenges on the way, but if you stick with it you get through pretty much anything.”

El Diablo interviewed Heather Phillips, a passionate and successful former student of Durango High School. “I think DHS is the best high school ever! I believe it provided me with an excellent education which served as a foundation for college and lifelong learning.” she quotes about DHS, “The school provided me with a solid and well rounded education that has made me better able to be an educated adult in the real world.

Phillips now lives in Virginia and works as an ob-gyn. “DHS absolutely taught me important skills and life lessons for growing up and being responsible. I remember classes and homework teaching me time management, discipline, and hard work.”

“High school is both a fun and a challenging time in the life, growth of an adolescent. You can always want to change things like cliques, classes you don’t have to take, etc, but looking back you realize everything you endured or experienced helps shape you for the future.” Although trucking through school may be exhausting, hard work pays off.

But are current seniors thinking the same way some of past students are thinking? El Diablo interviewed Sr. Marcus Flint about where he sees his future going.

When asked where he sees himself in twenty years, Flint replies “I don’t really know. I think ideally I’d be doing something with law or computer science but I’m not entirely sure. Twenty years is a long time”

Marcus wants to start his future off with college at either Standford of Pomona. They both have undergraduate programs” “I want to go to college and maybe either run, I’m not entirely sure about that, but then as an undergrad I want to study computer science, and then as a graduate student go to law school” he continues.

“I guess Durango has set me up for college by providing me opportunities to be successful while i’m here,” Marcus explains “and then hopefully with that moving on helping me to get into a good college that I get a good education from.” Similar to Officer Hamer, Flint says “Nothing is too far out of your reach. Just because it seems hard doesn’t mean it’s actually going to be difficult or unachievable” when it comes to advice for students nearing graduation.