Gillian Holmgren October 2, 2018
Football(3-2):
Coming off a Bye-Week
Volleyball(6-9):
9/25 3-0 Win @ Bayfield HS
Battle Mountain Tournament
9/28 3-0 Win vs. Vail Christian
9/28 3-0 Loss vs. Alamosa HS
9/29 3-0 Win vs. Summit County HS
9/29 3-2 Loss vs. Vail Mountain

The Durango High School volleyball team stormed out to an 8-3 lead in the first game at Bayfield High School. The Wolverines called a timeout, but it didn’t get any better in the first game or much of the rest of the night, as the Demons rolled to a 3-0 win behind game wins of 25-9, 25-20 and 25-17.

The Durango volleyball team went 1-1 Friday at the Battle Mountain Tournament, defeating Vail Christian 25-20, 25-19 and 25-15 and fell to Alamosa 25-17, 25-20 and 25-16.

The Durango High School volleyball team finished in fourth place and went 1-1 at the Battle Mountain Tournament Saturday, as the Demons beat Summit County 25-9, 25-23 and 25-14 and narrowly lost to Vail Mountain in five sets, 25-17, 25-21, 25-22, 25-12 and 16-14.

Boys Soccer(11-1):
9/11 5-0 Win @ Aztec HS
9/29 5-2 Win vs. Montrose HS
The Durango High School boys soccer team won its sixth consecutive match Thursday in a 5-0 thumping of Aztec on the road in New Mexico. The Demons (10-1, 4-0 5A/4A Southwestern League) got going early with a goal in the sixth minute and did not let go of their grip. Durango continued to create chances in the half but would only come away with a 1-0 halftime lead.

The Durango High School boys soccer team proved how many offensive weapons it has in a 5-2 win against 5A/4A Southwestern League rival Montrose on Saturday afternoon at Durango High School, as four different Demons found the back of the net.

With the win, the Demons have won seven matches in a row and have shown no signs of stopping.

Softball(9-4):
9/28 Game 1 Loss vs. Rifle HS
9/28 Game 2 Loss vs. Rifle HS

Boys Tennis(2-6):
Bye-Week Preparing for Regionals

Will Lammons has struggled to find ways to please his head coaches, but given the way he’s played in both of his fall sports this season, neither coach has real reason to complain.

The senior at Durango High School has split time at the Nos. 1 and 2 singles position in tennis this season and has also started every game as a center back defender on the soccer team. He will have two major tests this week when the Demons (9-1, 4-0 5A/4A Southwestern League), the third-ranked team in Class 4A in the Colorado High School Activities Association Class 4A boys soccer poll, will take on rival Montrose on Saturday afternoon at DHS. All the while, he will prepare for tennis regionals to be held Oct. 3. At regionals, he will try to qualify for the state tournament for the first time.

Boys Golf:
In a tune-up tournament before going to the Colorado High School Activities Association Class 4A state tournament, the Durango Demons placed second in a tournament played at Farmington’s Piñon Hills Golf Course on Monday.

Durango High School boys golf head coach Kirk Rawles knows all about the pressure of sending a first-time Demon to the state championship tournament. This season, he’ll send three, including two freshmen, to the Colorado High School Activities Association’s Class 4A tournament to be held Monday and Tuesday at Flying Horse Golf Club in Colorado Springs.

Cross-Country:
The Durango High School boys and girls cross-country teams had a successful weekend at the Nike Desert Twilight Festival on Friday in Casa Grande, Arizona against elite national competition. The boys team came in third overall out of 30 teams with 167 points while the girls team registered 407 points, good enough for 14th overall out of 27.
The Demon boys were led by Aidan Fitzgerald, who crossed the finish line with a time of 15 minutes, 5.30 seconds for seventh overall. It was Fitzgerald’s lifetime personal best. Fitzgerald, a senior, broke a 31-year old school record by more than 20 seconds, which was previously set by Alex Accetta in 1987. The time was also the weekend’s 20th fastest 5-kilometer time in the country. Not far behind was Noah Bodewes, who ran 15:38.90 seconds for 21st overall. Marcus Flint was third for the Demons, finishing in 35th overall with a time of 15:53.00. All seven DHS runners broke personal bests in the race.

DHS Mtn. Bike Team:
The Animas and Durango mountain bike teams erased the competition and claimed podium spots at the Chalk Creek Stampede in Nathrop last Sunday.
After three races, Durango leads Division 2 with 14,986 total points. Animas is a close second with 14,181 points in the Colorado Cycling League’s south conference. The CCL is part of the National Interscholastic Cycling Association.

This Weeks Events: HOMECOMING WEEK!
Football:
Oct. 5th(Friday) – 
                             6:00pm – V vs. Centennial HS
Boys Soccer:
Oct. 6th(Sat) –
                             11:00am – V vs. GJ Central HS at DHS
Volleyball:
Oct. 5th(Fri) –  JV dismissed after 6th period
                             4:30pm – Varsity vs GJ Central HS at DHS
                             3:30pm – JV vs GJ Central HS at DHS
Oct. 6th(Sat) –
                             All Day – C team @ Montrose HS Quad

Softball:
Oct. 2nd(Tues) – Varsity dimissed after 5th period
                            3:00pm – Varsity vs. Cortez at DHS
                            5:00pm – JV vs. Cortez at DHS
Oct. 6th(Sat) –
                            10:00am – Varsity vs. GJ Central at DHS
Boys Golf:
Oct. 1st(Mon) –  All Day
                               State Golf Tournament @ Colorado Springs

Boys Tennis:
Oct. 2th(Tues) –  dismissed after lunch
Oct. 3rd(Wed) –  All Day
Oct. 4th(Thur) – All Day
                          Boys Tennis Regionals in Grand Junction
Cross-Country:
Oct. 5th(Fri) – dismissed after 6th period
                      Varsity @ Cortez
Cheer:
Performing Oct. 5th @ Homecoming Football Game vs. Centennial HS
Dance:

Marching Band:

DHS Mtn. Bike Team:
Race #4 in Eagle 10/6 (Conference Championships)
State Championship in Durango 10/20 and 10/21

Leave a comment.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*