April 20th Walkout

Natalie DeBelina, Reporter

On April 20th, Durango High School experienced a peaceful walkout in protest against the current gun laws in America. Durango High School’s student body has continuously contributed to local protests, particularly those about US gun laws. The majority of students are standing up for what they believe is right, whether they are for or against the current gun laws.

One DHS student has taken up the responsibility of creating a DHS walkout page on Instagram. Using social media is a way to get the news of a walkout out to many people in a way that is known to work.

“I saw that walkouts were happening around the nation and I became passionate about making a change and being a part of the bigger picture,” said the student, who would prefer to remain anonymous.

“I want to see a change in gun laws because it’s just awful how we’ve let our country get out of hand (with school shootings being a daily occurence). How many people have to die before there is a change?,” said the anonymous student.

The US has the highest rate of mass shootings in the world, partly due to the fact that there are significantly less gun laws the the rest of the world. For example, US citizens only have to be 18 years old or older be for you can buy a gun, meaning most high school seniors would be able to buy a gun.

As underaged youth, DHS students can only do so much, with the voting registration age at 16. Most teens can’t offically vote until there 18. Teens can only get there point across by standing up for what they believe in.

“ I think as a student body we can keep doing what we’re doing: using peaceful protest and diplomacy to get our point across,” said anonymous.

The nation wide protest reached all around the world. Many students at DHS left class during third period to protest their for there safety in school.

DHS Freshmen Sophie Schiavone was one of the many students to participate in the walk out.

“We’re not encouraging change (As a country), and we’re tolerating these shootings that happened, we’re mourning about the losses, and then we’re forgetting about it,” said Schiavone.

Schiavone expresses her opinions on why students should be participants in the current walk outs, and those in the future.

“Make people wake up and realize you got to do everything – something has to change,” said Schiavone.

When participating in these walkouts having a goal or a certain aspect that protesters want people to see is important. As Schiavone explained, she wants people both in our community and wide spread of politically relevant people to see what is happening in our world and to other students.

Fellow student Aubrey hurst enlightens DHS with her opinions on the walk out.

“There’s thousands upon thousands of schools participating in this walkout,” said Hurst. “And the most important thing we can do is say here is my voice.”

With so many teens participating in the walk out, they want their voices to be heard, and be relevant to what’s happening now at their schools. Just like all other people do.

In the eyes of DHS Junior Larissa Anderson, if students want to get a point across they must dive in deeper for what they believe in.

“I believe it’s not just a one and done stand up for a cause,” Anderson said.

For change to happen, Students have to want the age to buy a gun to rise and they have to want less mass shootings with these changes. For change to occur protesters have to know what they want to see in the future. They have to think about what they want for future generations.