Stranger Things Lawsuit

Stranger Things Lawsuit

Luke Swift, Reporter

The Stranger Things crew are in trouble, and this time it’s not the demogorgon. Stranger Things creators, “The Duffer Brothers,” are under fire by a fellow filmmaker who claims that they stole his idea from a short film he called “Montauk”.

Filmmaker Charlie Kessler claims that he met the brothers at a premier party for the Tribeca Film Festival in 2014, where he proposed his idea for a sci-fi series called the “Montauk Project” (a sequel to his film “Montauk”). The series focused around a group of friends who uncover a government conspiracy after a young boy goes missing in the town, the series also showcases a cop who is haunted by his past.

Stranger Things, which is favored among all ages, especially teens, might lose some of these passionate viewers due to these claims.

DHS sophomore Stella Griswold is a fan of the show, and offered her comments on the legitimacy of the claim.

“If they did steal it, then it’s not really fair and [Kessler] should get some compensation from it, but I hope they don’t cancel the show,”said Griswold,  “I’m scared that it’s going to get cancelled and no one is going to watch it anymore. It’s the only thing I watch.”

Many students are struggling with the idea that Stranger Things is being accused of this, including fellow Sophomore Dalaney Wise.

“I think the show will still be good, but it won’t be as real as it was when I first fell in love with the it,” said So. Wise, “And now that I know that it wasn’t their idea, it will completely destroy my whole image of the Duffer Brothers.”

According to the Duffer Brothers’ Attorney the claim is: “completely meritless” and “…an attempt to profit from other people’s creativity and hard work.” (as reported by CNN).

The idea of plagiarism is highly downcasted in schools by teachers, but why is it sometimes tolerated for movie/show creators and musical artists to commit this offense? DHS Language Arts teacher, Kaila Coon comments on how unacceptable it is for students and other “writers” to commit this misdeed.

“I do think stealing ideas is still a problem, but  it’s a little bit different than plagiarizing work. In that you’re not doing the thinking so you’re still stealing somebody’s thoughts which is half the plagiarism. But I think the ethical problem is still there, like you just stole something that somebody else put a lot of work into, because you’re being lazy and not coming up with your own idea,” said Coon.

These affairs have become more and more common, and fans who support their favorite pop-culture arts, who are involved in such situations, are at a crossroads. On one hand, they want to support their musical artist/tv show creators, but their overall attraction to the show/music has decreased due to such actions.