Liberals Miss The Point on Gun Control

Caleb Simons, Reporter

While liberals are perfectly willing to air their ideas for stopping gun violence, they refuse to listen to those who disagree. This is slightly ironic, seeing as they accuse the right of being anti-action. While they stand on their moral pedestals and scold conservatives for not caring enough to take action, they squash attempts to come to a policy agreement.   

Take, for example, a comment made by Marjory Stoneman Douglas student Cameron Kaskey to Marco Rubio: “Senator Rubio, it’s hard to look at you and not look down a barrel of an AR-15 and not look at Nicholas Cruz, but the point is you’re here and there are some people who are not.”

Kaskey has been one of the most vocal students in the wake of the tragic Parkland High School shooting, and he has repeatedly slandered those who disagree with his aggressive gun control agenda. He told NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch, that she should be ashamed to look in the mirror since she has children.

Kaskey exemplifies the “bad people don’t want gun control” argument that the left consistently falls into, creating a scenario in which those who really care about saving the children support gun bans, while any disagreement must be rooted in moral ineptitude. But Kaskey isn’t the only one.

Enter David Hogg. In recent weeks, he has become the most bombastic of the Parkland survivors. In an interview with Outline, he said, “”They’re pathetic f****** that want to keep killing our children. They could have blood from children splattered all over their faces and they wouldn’t take action, because they all still see those dollar signs.”

He continued to describe the Florida state legislature-“It just makes me think what sick f****** are out there that want to continue to sell more guns, murder more children, and honestly just get re-elected.”

David Hogg has every right to speak out-and more power to him for doing so. But when he uses divisive and slanderous language to push his agenda, instead of making a well reasoned argument, he hamstrings the conversation and alienates people who disagree merely on policy.

This is the problem. The left thinks that people who disagree with them disagree with the motive-not the policy. They are convinced that gun owners don’t want to save children, when, in fact, we think taking away guns isn’t the best way to go.

Of course, Kaskey and Hogg stand out. But they are not unique. Consider the sign that shows up at almost every gun violence protest: Protect our kids, not your guns. Or how about this one: If you are part of, support, or take donations from the NRA, you have blood on your hands. This is exactly the opposite of civil discourse. You can have a gun, and protect kids. You can have a gun, and use it to protect kids. Protecting kids and protecting constitutional rights are not diametrically opposed-but this is what many on the left thinks.

The problem is that nobody in America can hash out exactly how to end gun violence, because the left is all or nothing. Either you support radical gun control, or you don’t care at all. No compromises, no alternatives. In their minds, the NRA can only be a group of gun crazed, violent, bribing group of power hungry perverts. Not only that, but if you deny this ‘truth,’ you’re one of the evil people who would prefer guns over kids lives.

Of course, if gun owners actually didn’t care about children’s lives, the left would have a serious point. But that simply isn’t true. Gun owners own their firearms precisely because they care about saving lives. Until the left figures that out and decides to have a civil conversation, the divides in our country will only deepen.