The Effect of Relationships

Naomi Miner, Reporter

In high school we make new friends. We accept each other for our differences and respect the choices that are made.

Through the four years students share together, friends come and go. People change and they develop new attitudes and habits. This affects how students learn and how they perceive themselves.Those perceptions can be positive or negative.

An anonymous student explains, “I’ve been in a situation where someone always brought me down because I wasn’t wearing something right or I wasn’t pretty enough.”

High school is a time period of transformations. Throughout tough patches people can be mean and egocentric.

Often times people who bring others down intentionally do it because of their own insecurities with school and the struggles they have making, or keeping friends. Making and maintaining good friends is what can help you throughout high school.

“Good friends boost confidence and can help you with a class you’re struggling with,” said Sr. Jordan Belt.

Psychologist argue that good friends support you in everything you do, they celebrate you for being yourself. Good friends help you when they are struggling because they understand that everyone has trials that they can’t overcome by themselves. Egotistical people often have a hard time accepting others for who they are. They believe that the majority of attention has to be directed towards them.

“I think that the ‘cool kids’ feel like they need the attention and don’t want to ruin how cool they are,” said Fr. Kyla Tucker.

Having a ‘too cool for school’ attitude can damage the confidence a student has in themself. Confidence in students during school gives students the courage to raise their hand in class and not be afraid to mess up.

According to psychologist Vera Borukhov, “ students who surround themselves with positively social friends and stay away from peers who chronically behave poorly proved more effective for academic payoffs than simply being friends with high-achieving peers.”

The friends students make now will affect them forever, not only in high school, but friends will affect our choices, habits and perspectives that will forever impact how we live our lives.

Psychologist Henry Stack Sullivan argues, “The ability to learn is built on a foundation of comfortable relationships with others, including peers and family, and classroom learning is all about learning with and in the presence of others.”

Being in a comfortable learning environment makes speaking up less intimidating. When students are in an environment where everyone is accepting, it creates a positive learning area where students have no limits.

“Friendships are good because it teaches people how to be social, who to hangout with and how to make the right decisions,” said So.Grace Meyer.

Friendships encourage actions. They help develop life skills that encourage good habits and positive friendships

DHS counselor Katie Brandau explains, “Peers can set a positive example to their friends when they strive high academically, then this behavior can rub off on the whole peer group, which lends itself to help focus this peer group and positively affect their learning environment.”

The environment which students learn in is very important. Students that are surrounded with others who want to do well will also try and put effort in so they aren’t the odd one out.

Throughout school, everyone won’t understand everything that’s happening in someone else’s life. Even though we may not understand the different struggles one might have it makes a huge impact when everyone is kind to one another and doesn’t judge for what someone is on the outside.

Everyone in DHS needs a reminder of two rules: First, treat others the way you want to be treated. Second, dont judge someone by the way they look on the outside. Don’t judge a book by its cover.