Clay Seibel: New Addition to the Boys Basketball Team

Sam Johnson, Reporter

With eleven seniors leaving, and only three returning varsity players, the basketball team has opportunities for new players. One of those was filled over the offseason when Clay Seibel, a 5’ 10’’ junior, chose to leave Ignacio and attend DHS for the last two years of high school . There are a few main reasons why he switched schools.

While starting on the Ignacio Varsity Team last year, Seibel realized what he wanted. His goal is to play basketball after high school.

“I want to play Collegiate Basketball. That’s my main goal. Slowly, trying to reach the Division 1 level,” said Seibel.

Durango High School adds a lot of opportunity for getting recruited by colleges. Especially compared to Ignacio, Seibels former team.

“I chose Durango because it gives me a greater opportunity to play college basketball, knowing that DHS that competes in the 4A division as Ignacio plays at the 2A level,” said Seibel.

Being 4A in Colorado means there are 627-1356 students attending the school and 2A means there are 91-248 students attending the school. 4A schools have a lot more recruitment opportunities then 2A. Due to CHSAA (Colorado High School Activities Association) Seibel will have to play on the Junior Varsity team for the first half of this 2017 – 2018 season.

With the addition of a new teammate, there are worries about how he will fit into the team.  “The chemistry between me and the team is already great. I already consider them my good friends and hang out with them. The team was very inclusive with me over the summer and we are all ready to start playing as a team,” said Seibel.

The three returning varsity players are  Sr. Seth Johnson, Sr. Will Myer and Jr. Cullen Robinette. After the first half of the season, Clay will likely play a lot of minutes, and hopefully points. “I really want to average about 16 points per game this year. I’m confident in my skills and ability to do that,” said Seibel.

While it seems like it was a pretty personal choice to come to Durango High School, Seibel is also extremely competitive. “I have been competitive for as long as I remember, and it really shows in Basketball. I hate losing,” said Seibel.

Everyone on the varsity team is the same way. Although there is a very small number of returning Varsity players and a new addition, this team wants to win, and Seibel wants to help with that. “Even though I really want to be recruited and have good stats, I just want to play basketball. and help this team as much as possible. I want to win,” said Seibel,

It will be interesting to see how this season turns out for the Demons, and whether or not Clay Seibel will be able to achieve his goals.