Run Your Own Life: Success In Sports and Academics

With the expectations and pressure that coaches, parents and teachers put on kids, it’s hard to believe that they manage to get through high school. School is difficult enough, and with sports in addition to that, it can be overwhelming. In the midst of their hectic lives, many students at DHS perform at a high level in athletics, and although it may be hard, they still are able to meet and often exceed the grade requirements to participate in sports.

“The key to ensuring I get my work done is to keep my phone away from me and not be distracted by it,” said Fr. Maddy Persing.

It may be hard to admit for many students, but cell phones greatly hinder the amount of work that one is able to get done. “If you can control your urges to look at Instagram or Snapchat, you can get your work done a million times faster,” said Larson.

Another factor that plays a role in limiting the amount of work you get done is the desire to be with your friends, go the football games, go out to lunch, and participate in other social activities. Larson made the varsity soccer team as a freshman and says she has learned so much about balancing her school work out with soccer.

“I used to think it was the end of the world if I didn’t get to hang out with my friends or go to a volleyball game, but I’ve realized that getting your homework done is so much more important,” said Larson.

When students have to miss school for sports, assignments can pile up very fast.  “Coming into high school as a freshman, I didn’t really know what to expect, so I never really talked to my teachers when I had to miss school. However, I discovered that communicating about the days you are missing and what work you have to do, is the most important thing when it comes to balancing out school with sports,” said Persing.

An essential part in making sure you get your work done is communication.

“The teachers and staff at DHS are very understanding when students miss school for sports and to make sure that stays the same, you have to communicate with them,” said Larson.

Like Persing, she thinks communication is one of the most important things you must do in terms of balancing out school with sports.

As only a freshman, Jordan Woolverton not only made the varsity football team but also starts as quarterback for the demons. He says he feels a lot of pressure to do well and gets very overwhelmed sometimes.

“I always remind myself that school comes before anything else, it’s hard when I get home from practice really late and then have loads of homework to do. It makes things a lot easier if I go into my homework with a determined mindset and simply just get it done,” said Woolverton.  

At DHS, coaches place a lot of importance on their athletes’ academic success. Larson says that her soccer coach, Dalon Parker, always checks in with his athletes and makes sure they are getting the help they need with their school work.

“He always makes sure we are keeping our grades up and offers support if needed,” said Larson.

Persing says that her coaches, David Mcmillan and Brett Wilson, are very concerned about her academic success as well.

“They offer us tutoring if needed and when traveling, they space out a block of time for us to do our homework usually in the hotel rooms,” said Persing.

For all sports, athletes also have study hall after school on Mondays before their practice. “It gives us time to get our school work done and it is very helpful,” said Woolverton.

He also says that the time that coaches make out for school work is very valuable and it is important that you take advantage of that. “With our crazy schedules we need all the time we can get,” said Woolverton.

The common goal for student athletes is to be successful in both sports and academics. That goal sometimes may seem a little unattainable, but students have found that if you prioritize, communicate, and keep your distractions distant, you will be successful.

Author: El Diablo