Demons take out Wildcats for Homecoming Victory

Natalie Biery, Reporter

In an epic match against the Pueblo Central Wildcats, Durango took the win by starting off the game 22-0 in the first quarter.  On October 19th, the night before the homecoming dance, the highly anticipated annual football game took place. As the student section crowded the stands, the game began.

Sr. Max Hyson successfully scored the first touchdown from 20 yards. Sr. Manasseh Brockus then tripped up Pueblo Central by scoring a 2 point conversion, giving the Demons a 15-0 lead.

Running back Jr. Dawson Marcum, one of the top three offensive players of the game, explains how he thinks this season is going for his team. “We are a fast and athletic team that was all over the place at first but now we have come together” said Marcum

For the next possession, Jr. Alex Hise caught the ball by quarterback Fr. Jordan Wolverton when he threw a 17-yard pass to Hise for a touchdown. Wolverton was one of the top three offensive players of the game with 52 passing yards and one touchdown.  

The DHS student section is a huge part of the atmosphere during the game. For the athletes, support from peers in the stands can have a huge impact on the outcome of the game.

“I totally think the student section could help people come and support the team” said Jr. Alyssa Robertson “Hearing a bunch of people screaming for a touchdown really motivates and gets the crowd excited” however not all students shares her enthusiasm. “We could improve since the underclassman usually sit toward the back and really only half the get hype and cheer for our team” said Robertson.

Sr. Kade Jackson scored a 49-yard touchdown to help the demons to a 46-6 and a running clock for the end of the game. This win was very important for the Demons who are currently on the road to state and need every win they can get. If the Demons win state, this is would be the first time Durango football would ever win the title in history.

The football team has been working very hard this season to make sure this happens “We prepare for every game the same; we look at film, make a game plan, and practice it until we accomplish our goal” said Marcum. We have no doubt that the team will continue this streak and make it to state.