Senior Night

Brianna Brown, Reporter

Senior Night at Durango High School is a big deal for those graduating and moving on. Almost all sports at DHS hold one which signifies the final play for seniors  on their home field or court and the ending of their chapters as high school participants of that sport.

Senior Night carries in the hearts of the seniors throughout the high school on their last moments together with their teams. They carry one another through the emotional night of one of their final games.

“My experience on senior night was very exciting, I was able to play in front of our home crowd one last time. It was great to get a final win at home and to be undefeated on our home field the whole season,” said Sr. Gavin Mestas.

For most, it is the game they will remember for a lifetime. They will remember the night along with their team and the special bonds they made. For others it will be the game itself- who they played, what the outcome was, and the memories made throughout that game.

“We [volleyball] played cross town rivals, Bayfield, for senior night. Beating Bayfield on senior night was the combination of four years of morning summer workouts, open gyms, lifting sessions, practices and games to finally end our career  proving that the dedication of our entire team paid off,” said Sr. Lana Razma.

For a few seniors at DHS who plan to continue their career into college sports,  senior night didn’t mark the end of their journey, but rather a pitstop along their path to their final destination. Regardless, it is an emotional rollercoaster through the entirety of the night.

“It was an amazing experience to play during senior night and being able to look back on all the good time I’ve had through soccer with all the other seniors. It’s something I will never forget,” said Sr. Eli Fenton.

Those who are not seniors still feel the impact from the emotional night. The underclassman generally are upset because a piece of their team is leaving.

“Even though it was not my senior night watching this graduating class get recognized was very emotional for me. This senior class meant a lot to my team and myself so knowing this was one of the last times I was going to play with them was hard. I will miss each of the five seniors with all my heart and we will not be the same without them next year,” said Jr. Maura Fitzpatrick.

All sports teams celebrate senior night in a different way. Ultimately the coach recognizes each senior as they walk in front of the crowd with their parents.  

“On senior night we lined up in front of the crowd while vogt recognized us, we gave flowers to our moms and took a picture with Vogt. And playing on senior night was honestly just like playing on any other night. The crowd is really awesome every Friday night and they are just so much fun to play in front of and I’m going to miss it,” said Sr. Max Hyson.