Concurrent Enrollment: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Saylor Stottlemyer, Head Features Editor

Concurrent Enrollment is an option for Durango High School students to earn college credit, become involved involved at a college level, and take classes that are not available at the High School. This process has many benefits and disadvantages that previous and current students have experienced.

Sam Dippold, a 2017 graduate of Durango High School who took a Sociology class his senior year at Fort Lewis College, thought that it was an inexpensive and important introduction to the college environment.

“Concurrent enrollment is the cheapest and easiest way to earn a college credit in High School, and it also gives you the best look into how college will feel and really start you off ahead of the game. If you aren’t prepared enough to meet the challenges college throws at you, it’s a completely different ball game and you need to treat it that way by having good study habits and mental fortitude” said Dippold.

Similarly, former student Harry Steinberg experienced concurrent enrollment through taking Calculus 3 at Fort Lewis College, and shared his advice on how to succeed in the program.

“[With Concurrent Enrollment,] you get a taste of the real college experience without the complete overwhelming course load. Definitely take a class with some friends at the high school so you can create study groups and work together,” said Steinberg.

Deb Medenwaldt, the 11th Grade Academic Advisor from the DHS Counseling Department, elaborates on the process for students who are unaware about the positive and negative aspects of concurrent enrollment.

“Through concurrent enrollment our school district pays tuition and students pay books/fees which is a great saving for families. Most students opt for concurrent enrollment after they have exhausted a course of study here at DHS. Students also take concurrent classes for courses we do not offer here at DHS such as automotive technology,” said Medenwaldt.

Emma Vogel, a current senior at Durango High School, is taking International Politics at Fort Lewis College, and she loves being part of the FLC college community.

“One of the pros is the fact that by passing the class, you receive college credit. Another pro is that if you pass the class with a C or above, the high school pays for the course!” said Vogel.

However, at the same time, she also said that there were some things that she did not like about the process.

“The only con about my concurrent enrollment class is that sometimes I miss advisory and/or assemblies. I also had to coordinate my DHS schedule so that I had no overlapping classes,” said Vogel.

Sr. Kylee Cosse is taking Psychology:157 currently at Fort Lewis College and she cannot see a con with the program, besides the fact that everyone doesn’t do it.

“Concurrent enrollment is like dipping your toe into the college experience without jumping in fully. This opportunity for higher education allows students to think critically about not only their own lives but about infinite possibilities the future could hold for us all,” said Cosse.

Concurrent enrollment has both positive and negative aspects; it is an option open to DHS students to expand their course selection and get insight into the college environment.