Unreported natural disasters

Emma Jaber, Arts Editor

The recent devastation caused by natural disasters all over the world has left many people and places broken. Hurricanes, fires, and earthquakes have plagued the planet in the past couple of months, but for some reason, some disasters seem to be getting more media attention than others.

So what makes some places more reported on than others? What factors go into the headlines and articles of the most devastating events around?

Houston, for example, was hit by hurricane Harvey between August 25th, and September 3rd, and was sprawled across most headlines and major news networks. Many volunteer workers and aid programs have been in Houston since Harvey, and rightfully so, as many people in Texas have been faced with irreversible damage.

“Honestly, because our news is broadcast throughout America, people aren’t as concerned about what’s happening in other places around the world. This can be harmful because the U.S is a big enough country to where we have the ability to help others when they need it, but most of the time other countries aren’t covered as much in the news” said Durango High School Junior Stella Hildebrand.

Some of the most destruction caused recently by Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico mid September, and according to CNN, residents were waiting for aid almost a week later. The entire Island lost power, and about half of the residents don’t have water.

Fires in Montana destroyed thousands of acres of land, and the news coverage of the fire was not nearly circulated as frequently as some of the other recent disasters. Proximity to a certain disaster can dictate the exposure certain people get to it, and in some cases, some people are completely unaware of the current destruction at no fault of their own.

“I think the media focuses on places that people know and will give more attention to. For example, I’ve heard quite a few people talk about how beautiful it once was when there are also smaller and equally beautiful places that no one hears about” said junior Breann Waddell.

And it’s not just some disasters getting overshadowed by others, it’s other popular culture events and rumors taking media precedence over global destruction. Many have taken to social media to express their frustrations with mainstream media and tabloids failing to comment on the severity of current events.