Best Concerts that Students have Attended Q and A

Mia Boudreau, Reporter

Responses from DHS Teacher Mr. Jolley:

Who do you like to go to concerts with?

“I’ve gone with my girlfriend, or my friends, but I don’t like to talk to my friends at concerts, I don’t want them to talk to me while the music is playing. I just want to listen and be in the moment.”  

What concerts have you been to in the past?

“I like classic rock a lot, and so, I’m trying to catch all of those guys from the 60’s and 70’s before they die. Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan…I love the Beatles and have seen Paul McCartney a couple time, including in the front row at a Music Festival in Delaware, which was really cool. I’ve also been to a lot of hip hop and indie rock concerts, a few music festivals. Music is my life.

What is your favorite song and why?

Heroes by David Bowie. It’s an epic love story with haunting vocals. The lyrics speak to me personally,  but beyond them, the instrumentals convey some intense emotion that can’t be articulated.

What was your favorite concert?

“My favorite concert ever was when I was going to Cuba with my friend. We had to sneak through Mexico, and so we were going from one airport to the other airport to sneak into Cuba, and heard on the radio that Paul McCartney was doing a free show in the city center of Mexico that night, so we just scraped our plans and instead went to the concert. And it was amazing, there was 2 million people there, the largest concert he’s ever played. He played for like three and a half hours and had a Mariachi Band, it was a huge party.”

What do you think is the most important thing that people take away from concerts?

“Music is a part of our souls and our biology as human beings, so to share music together in a collective experience I think is one of the oldest things humans have done. There are 100,000 year old flutes, its really, really special.”

Who is your favorite artist or band?

“It’s probably a tie between the Beatles and Chance the Rapper.”

How did you discover your favorite artist?

“The Beatles, I’ve listened to since I was a little kid. Well first of all, everybody knows the Beatles, and my grandma gave me their number one hits CD for my birthday, and I listened to that until it wouldn’t play anymore. I’ve just always liked them a lot, especially because they are just happy and positive, and sing about love. And they mix classical music and rock music together, which I like a lot.”

Responses from DHS Sophomore Lola Thomas:

Who do you like to go to concerts with?

“Well a parent, and a friend. I think a couple close friends would make it more fun, because a big group of people, you gotta worry about everybody else, but still be social. With your friends you can just do inside jokes , sing as bad as you want, and just have fun.”

“So, I went to Lady Gaga’s Artrave, in Dallas Texas. And I also saw Pulp in New York.”

What is your favorite song and why?

“Probably Monster. I watched the Madison Square Garden thing, when I was also in kindergarten, and she had this fabulous costume on. It was like a leotard, and then she had all this blood all over her, I think it was just the performance of that I loved, and so that’s why it’s still my favorite, I think, because of the way she presented it.”

What was your favorite concert?

“Lady Gaga was awesome.  I’ve loved her since kindergarten, and I was with my best friend, so it was just really fun. A lot of good costumes too.”

Who is your favorite artist or band?

“Lady Gaga, she’s pretty awesome, she’s really inspirational, she’s super talented, she can sing.”

What do you think is the most important thing that people that away from concerts?

“I mean, entertainment, for sure, but when we went to Lady Gaga she gave a few really emotional speeches during the concert, I think I cried, it was just really important just to be there in the moment.”

“I got a disk, a CD when I was in kindergarten and I put it in my boombox (‘cause like, that was a thing back then) and it had Poker Face or Paparazzi on and I just loved it, and I played that over and over again.”

Responses from DHS Junior Felicity DeWeese:

Who do you like to go to concerts with?

“My family.”

“I’ve been to an Eric Church Concert, a Blue Man group concert, a music festival, a rock music festival, and another rock concert.”

What is your favorite song and why?

“How Did You Love By Shinedown.”

What was your favorite concert?

“Probably Eric Church, because it was just him and there were no openers. It was just Eric Church for three hours straight, in a giant stadium.”

Who is your favorite artist or band?

“Shinedown. I just enjoy their music.”

“Probably just getting a break from the regular old life and having fun.”

“My stepdad.”

Responses from DHS Teacher Mr. Clark:

Who do you like to go to concerts with?

Different friends depending on their preferences of music. My wife usually goes to most concerts with me. I wish I could take my dog to them all.”

“I have been to a lot different concerts covering mostly all music genres.  Some artist I can think of from the top of my head would be Kid Cudi, Passion pit, elephant revival, Snoop Dogg, Matisyahu, Edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros and the flaming lips.’

What is your favorite song and why?

“If you want to sing out – by Cat Stevens; puts me in a good mood every time I listen to it.”

What was your favorite concert?

“I have a lot of favorite concerts…but one that sticks out was a festival called “Camp out for the Cause” It was three days of camping, blue-grass, yoga and Stand up paddle boarding. All the proceeds went to river restoration and I really enjoy Down River SUPing.”

“Of course the time spent with family and friends…but also the whole experience of being with a community of people that all are there to enjoy the music.”

Who is your favorite artist or band?

“Favorite artist would hands down be Cat Stevens (now known as Yusuf Islam).”

[Cat Stevens] “He was both of my parents’ favorite artist while growing up.”