Popular film Wonder inspires audience with messages of kindness

Maddy Gleason, Reporter

Everyday men, women and children walking down the street or browsing your local grocery store aisle are shamed, ignored, and feared just based on the way they look. Captured in the enriching film “Wonder” directed by Stephen Chbosky, people learn to accept everyone for who they are on the inside; no matter how they look on the outside.

“I loved this movie. I don’t usually enjoy sentimental movies, but this one was really cool. I liked how the message showed that disabilities don’t prove anything. If I were in that movie, I would probably be Augie’s friend. He’s a really nice person, and the movie showed that disabilities don’t have any boundaries.” said So. Luke Tichi.

This film is deep and sincere, and succeeds in telling an enthralling story about kindness. It focuses on Auggie Pullman, a little boy with a facial distortment, but a rich and adorable spirit. It emphasizes the importance of acceptance and Augie’s journey, but there is also a hidden message within the movie.

Maybe it’s not about Augie at all, maybe it’s all about what members of  society choose to see in the world. Some people choose to look at appearances and judge by first impressions, but this movie emphasizes what everyone should try to see in the world; what’s on the inside.

“I thought it was an awesome movie. I was in tears multiple times when I watched it. I like how it really challenges the viewers to actually get to know a person before you make a judgement on them, because we can so often judge book by their cover,” said Josh Maes, life skills teacher at DHS.

Spreading messages that couldn’t be emphasized more, like friendship, kindness, or open-mindedness, this movie does an amazing job sharing the views society often has on individuals with physical or intellectual disabilities.

“ I think it sends a really good message. A lot of kids with intellectual disabilities do look different or do act differently, so often times they’re ostracized by their peers, they get called the “R” word a lot” said Maes.

The movie also emphasizes an important idea for everyone to follow; that should all stick together, find compassion and prioritize acceptance. His journey towards an accepted individual is all about solidifying relationships with his parents and the few close friends he has, in order to build on those relationships and be a part of even more people’s lives.

“It also reminded me of the responsibility I have in relationship to my peers. A Lot of times in this movie, people had to do the right thing even if it went against their friends. It’s a really inspiring movie, especially through the perspective of Augie, who is a really interesting and strong kid,” said Tichi.

Similar to many children with intellectual and physical disabilities, Auggie is very isolated in public places without the comfort of his close friends and family that know him on the inside.

“It’s an awesome group of people that, too often, get marginalized. They’re just like  anybody else, they want to feel loved, they want to feel valued, as any other student would, as any human being would,” says Maes.

It’s difficult to blend in when you were meant to stand out, which is what Auggie realizes as he unites groups of people and teaches the lesson of acceptance, compassion, and selflessness. It’s totally unimportant what a person looks like on the outside; every human being is valuable, and every human being is beautiful, extraordinary, and unique on the inside.

Wonder does an amazing job of conveying these messages, and is overall a great movie to see with family and friends. Be prepared to cry, laugh, and leave the theater with a lot on mind. This emotional movie leaves you with a lot to think about, but generally will feel aware of your surroundings, more accepting, and overall very happy.