DHS Swimmers are winners

Morgan Mallonee, Reporter

On December 9th, DHS girls swim and dive team had a home meet at Durango’s very own Fort Lewis College. The visiting team was Cortez’s girls swim team. All the coaches and swimmers were pleased with how the meet went.

Swim coach Tom Joyner isn’t stressed for meets that start off the season. “It is the first meet of the season so I’m never really worried about it because I know we’re all trying to get back into the swing of things” said Joyner.

DHS won the first meet at Cortez and their home meet at Fort Lewis. The team has a little over 20 swimmers and were competing against Cortez with only 6 swimmers.

This season many girls who are new to the sport have been doing well and shown excitement and enthusiasm for meets and traveling.

Sr. Mira Joyner, team captain was very proud of the whole team. “My favorite part about the meet was seeing how proud everyone was of themselves especially the new girls, The whole mood of the meet was different with new swimmers, everyone was extremely supportive and cheering each other on,” said Joyner.

Team captain Sr. Joci Earl  is satisfied with how the meet played out. “I think the meet went great, it was definitely a good starter for us,” said Earl.

In Cortez and at the Fort, DHS swim and dive produced 7 state qualifying times and 2 dive cards. Joyner, Earl, and  So. Saylor Stottlemyer achieved those 7 qualifying times. Sr. Ruby Epstein and Jr. Kylie Behn both achieved the 2 dive cards that qualify them for state.

“Qualifying for state is always an amazing feeling, it makes you feel good about yourself because you finally see all of your hard work paid off,” said Joyner.

Joyner qualified in 50 freestyle, 100m breaststroke, 100m backstroke,100m freestyle, 200 IM, 200 medley relay, 200 freestyle relay and 400 freestyle relay.

“I think qualifying for state always feels good, but it was a lot different qualifying for 4a state than 3a, because 3a is slower,” said Earl.

2a-6a is the rank in which they place swimmers for state competition. They place the competitors with close times in relevant heats.

Earl qualified in the 200 free, and 500 free and is excited to showcase her talents at state competition.

Meets and practice are different for Mira Joyner, Joci Earl, Ruby Epstein, and Sadie Mcaliney, because of the responsibility that weighs on them as team captains. At meets team captains are responsible for their swimmers and check in when someone has an event coming up. They always have to be prepared to fill the demands of this important role.

“The most important part about being a captain is being supportive and encouraging of everyone on the team, we always make them them feel welcomed and important,” said Mira Joyner.

These captains demonstrated leadership at the swim meet, and went above and beyond to help and support their team mates.

“We’re all super proud of how everybody did, everyone swam had a great meet, overall it was just wonderful,” said coach Joyner

Durango High School girls swim and dive team showed exceptional attitudes and great support for their team at the first home meet this new season.