Demon of DHS: featuring Monte Jackson

Stella Walsh , Head Specials Editor

For this issue, Demons of DHS features Monte Jackson, a science teacher here at Durango High School. Jackson currently teaches Anatomy and Physiology which is a Bio 106 credit for colleges and AVID, but has taught a variety of classes previously. The energy and excitement Jackson brings to his classroom each day is said to be what keeps his students intrigued. Jackson forms great relationships with his students as they know he will always be someone they can turn to if they need anything. Further is a Q&A with Jackson to better understand him and where he came from.

How many years have you taught? Anywhere besides Durango ? If so, where and how long?

Thirteen years at Durango High School. This is my second career, so it is the only place I have ever taught.  

How long have you lived in Durango and what brought you here?

I have lived in Durango since January 2004. I moved here because I would visit my Dad and Stepmom here during my leave from Johnston Island and fell in love with this place!

Where did you go to college?

I received my Bachelor Degree in Science from Mississippi College, my teacher certification from Fort Lewis and I am getting my Master’s of Science for Teachers from New Mexico Tech.

How did you decide you wanted to be a teacher?

I decided to become a teacher because I always thought science was interesting, but most of my teachers were boring. If someone were to put the time and effort to make it fun, students would enjoy learning science. (I hope I have succeeded! )

What is your favorite thing about teaching?

My favorite thing about teaching is easy- the students!!! When students take the time to stop by my classroom years after they have graduated to tell me how much they enjoyed my classes, it is very rewarding! It means the world to me to know that I had some kind of impact on their lives.

What is one thing you wish students knew about you prior to having your class?

Good question. I would say that I want students to know that I will do my best to give them an enriching learning experience, work with them if the need extra help and that I love to use humor in my teaching. It is always meant to entertain, and never to offend anyone.

Why did you decide to teach science above all other courses?

I love teaching Anatomy and Physiology because I am in awe of the human body and its capabilities! We should all learn more about how our bodies work! It is a subject that allows me to continue learning even as I am teaching.

What is your favorite thing to do outside of teaching? Tell me about that….

Outside of teaching, I love spending time with my family, hiking, riding my Harley, playing poker and lifting weights.

Tell me an interesting/memorable story or experience that we could use to get to know

you better.

I guess I am most well known for “The Shark Story” which you have already heard! One year at graduation some of the students who spoke at graduation mentioned the shark story in their speeches and I had several people come up to me after graduation and want me to tell it. When I explained that it would take at least 45 minutes to tell, one elderly lady got mad at me because I wouldn’t tell it to her! I apologized, but I think she was pretty disappointed.