Senior Goals for their Last Seasons as DHS Athletes and Their best Memories

Bekah Moenning, Head Sports Editor

Blurb: The spring season has arrived and Durango High Schools’ senior athletes are itching to leave their last and final mark on the court, the feild, and the track. These athletes have experienced lasting memories and friendships that will never fade. DHS’ seniors embark on their last seasons and have parting goals before they graduate.

Abby Scott (Track): “One of my best memories was my freshman year at league laying outside on blankets the night after talking, laughing and stargazing. I realized I had found my people. Also, crossing the line in Aztec after a special 4×8 and falling into my teams arms crying with pain and joy when I realized how fast we had just run.”

“I was such an ugly duckling, in terms of speed, that I never would have imagined saying this freshman year but I want to win two state tiles. One in the 4×8 and one in the open 800. I know there are girls in the 800 with more raw talent than me, but if there is one thing I have learned is that if you can want it more badly you could win the race.”

Gavin Mestas (Football) : “One of the best memories I have had was beating Fruita at home for the Strike Out Childhood Cancer Game.”

“My biggest goal this year is to be all state.”

Emma Vogel (Tennis): “One of my main memories was getting wrecked at state last season because even though it was sad that my partner and I, Camille Jacobs, lost, it was so fun to see the other girls win, and still have fun while losing terribly.”

“For this upcoming season, my biggest goal is probably to go out with a bang. As a senior and as my last year playing tennis I just want to have fun, play my hardest and get close with my team again.”

Suanna Gustavson (Soccer): “ As far as memories go, I really loved travelling with the team and spending time with everyone. Bus rides and team dinners are great because there is not as much stress around them, it’s just hanging out with your favorite people.”

“One thing that is super important to everyone in our program is team chemistry. Last year we focused on building relationships on and off the field, so by the end of the year we really were like a family. I know we will focus on that this year because it created such a great team dynamic. Other than that, I think playoffs are something everyone is expecting. We made it to the second round last year, so going further this season would be awesome.”