Teacher Wisdom

Catie Marqua, Reporter

People tend to turn to Google as their main resource for knowledge and information, completely disregarding all of the other resources around them (cough, cough, real people with real life experiences). Take teachers for instance. Not only have they recieved years of education, but they are actual people who have gone through the social, emotional and cognitive struggles which lead to wisdom.

Now, don’t confuse wisdom for age. A person is not automatically wise because they have been alive for “x” amount of time. Wisdom comes when people develop the ability to maintain an open mind.

“It’s less about the age of the individual and more about how much humility they bring to their perspective,” explains VICE News.

That being said, not all old people are wise or worthy of taking advice from. But, there still remains a plethora of wise individuals and taking the time to listen and absorb the advice they offer has the potential to be worlds more beneficial than reading some, “How to be Successful According to your Zodiac Sign” article on facebook.

A few of Durango High School’s staff share the best piece of advice they’ve received and how it has served them in life.

“The best advice I ever received was from my Daddy, who always said “give 110% in everything you do.” It’s an easy concept, just give more than your best and you’ll always be successful. In everything I do, I try to give 110%, from working at the high school, at home, and even playing with my son. I will admit though, giving 110% is difficult when it comes to cleaning my house! No matter what the task, just make sure you’re doing a little bit more than your best, because it teaches you how to challenge yourself, and you’ll always have pride in your work and know you did your best.” -Jessica Bright

“All my Armenian relatives stressed the importance of being “very well educated” (advice that was delivered in Armenian-accented English). I followed this advice and went on to attain a BA in International Affairs, an MA in Education (minor in history), and a career in a field I love. Beyond my formal college education, I consider myself a life-long learner. My teaching position demands that I  continue to learn new subjects. For example, I was thrilled to take on AP Psychology this year and, in the process, have learned so many new things. I hope that continuing to challenge myself intellectually will ward of dementia.

On a more personal note, my mother advised me to marry someone with whom I shared common interests. I took her advice when I married my husband, Jim White, who I met rock climbing. After almost 25 years of marriage, we still love to ski, bike, hike, backpack, travel, and watch NPR News hour together and he is the person I chose to spend my time with above all others.”-Leigh Gozigian

While in the navy in Vietnam, I was interested in two special ladies who were stateside. Each had great qualities.  I asked a dear friend, our ship’ chief corpsman. His advice was to answer this question: whose face could I picture the most?  A year and half later I married that lady and we have been married for 43 years this March.” -Steve Powell