Goodwill opening: New building for Durango residents

Tierney Brennan, News Editor

Coming off a recent opening of February 17th, Goodwill fits right into the clothes scene of Durango. The brand new store’s used merchandise is already steadily flying off shelves, and DHS students are loving it.

“There’s a large selection of items, and some really cool finds if you dig deep,” said so. Timmy Chamblee, a regular thrift store shopper. “The prices are good; the people who work there are nice and helpful.”

Goodwill, unlike other thrift stores around town, was founded in Boston, 1902, by a Methodist reverend. He would collect household goods and clothing, and hire the poor to fix the used items up. Then, he would resell them, or give them to those who repaired them.

“I think the Goodwill was a great addition to our town; it really fits right in,” said so. Bella, who often goes thrift shopping with friends on the weekends. “While it is a fun thing to do, it also gives back to our community, which makes it even better!”  

Along with being a nonprofit thrift store, Goodwill also participates in programs such as Beyond Jobs, Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP), GoodGuides, and GFC Learn Free. These programs offer aid to single mothers, troubled teens, seniors, and families with young children.

“One cool program Goodwill provides is for the disabled,” said local Goodwill shift supervisor Nicole Cyr. “They have an entire complex split into different sections where they work with people on going to the bank, cooking, etc, it’s a really good program for learning everyday skills they’ll need.”

The programs mentioned above function on a national level as well as local. Goodwill also pledges to aid community members in times of crisis, making it a wholesome addition to a town.

While there are many benefits to such a fruitful thrift store, it does pose a threat to local businesses. In that regard, Goodwill does go against the Durango identity. Shopping local is always preferred in this little mountain town as opposed to corporations.

“Some of the thrift stores have been picky in the past with what they accept, while we accept anything except mattresses and TVs – so we accept donations anytime you have them,” said Cyr.  

Goodwill makes it part of their mission to take every donated item, whether it can be sold or not. They have other outlets for used goods, such as recycling or repurposing. All items are accepted regardless of quality.

“In that way, other thrift stores may need to up their game regarding accepting donations,” said Cyr.

Many DHS students appreciate the option of the new Goodwill, but will still continue to focus their thrift shopping efforts locally.

“Thrift stores have such unique items that you can’t find anywhere else,” said thrift store enthusiast jr. Mia Rodri. “I would guess that more than half my wardrobe is from the thrift store.”

She was excited by the prospect of the Goodwill coming to town, but says she will stick to the original Durango thrift stores in order to support locals.

“I still think its important to shop locally and and give to the local humane society, but Goodwill proceeds go to charitable causes as well,” said sr. Sierra Kelly, a thrift store veteran.
Goodwill may be a chain corporation, but its charities and community beneficial programs keep it in leagues with supporting local thrift stores. It seems Durango will maintain a balance of corporation and local, all while offering a range of thrifting options.

“I’m excited to see more and more people thrifting because it diversifies fashion, and is a lot better for the planet!” said Kelly.

Ultimately, despite the local and corporate competition, everyone wins in this situation. Goodwill gives back to the community, offers new thrift options, and provides a new source of employment; local thrift stores hold classic, unique treasures and support the heart of the community. Happy thrifting, Durango!