Planning Graduation 2017-2018

Naomi Miner, Reporter

In May, several hundred seniors will be graduating from Durango High School.

Student Council pours countless hours into the preparation for the spring ceremony, along with Senior Tea and other graduation events.

According to teachers and students, graduation is more successful than thought to be. The class of 2018 had a couple setbacks in the graduation planning process in the beginning, but now student council is on track to make graduation a smooth and flawless event. Student council’s setback in the graduation process was trying to work together and communicate. On the other hand, the class of 2018 did very well fundraising money to pay for graduation.

Student council first had to decide on what song, flower, and motto is. Their motto was determined by the whole class of 2018 voting on various quotes. They ultimately decided on “I am ready to face any challenge dumb enough to face me.”

One of the main setbacks of trying to plan for graduation is trying to get student council to work as a team.

“It seems like there’s a lot to do and it’s hard to navigate what you need to do in a certain amount of time,” said Senior Class Vice-President Micah Hwang.

One of the bigger issues that first occurred was where to begin. Trying to figure out what is the most important thing to what is not the first thing to be done. For example, the first thing that student council had to get done was find a place to host graduation. One of the not so important things to get planned was choosing the sr. t-shirts.

“Because our whole senior class is new except the executives, to student council none of us really knew what we were doing,” said Hwang.

New leadership often leads to organizational struggles. However, teamwork and collaboration can overcome these struggles.

“This is a stressful year for a lot of seniors so it’d be perfectly fine if they weren’t completely prepared.” says Kathia, a graduating senior.

In some ways, if a few small details of graduation were missing then it wouldn’t make the biggest impact or change how graduation works.

Timing was a big push for student council. “Trying to work with 20 students can get a little clustered and can be difficult to move around problems.” said planning supervisor, Food and Nutrition teacher Mrs. Bright.

Having many students working on a project has many pros and cons. Multiple people on one job can get the job done faster but it is also a set back if there is not good communication.

“It can be hard sometimes just because there’s a lot of us.” said Sr. Harrison Kairalla, a student council member.

Having a certain amount of jobs to get done in a certain amount of time is very demanding.

“We’re trying to get everything done before spring break. But it’s also a matter of ‘how can we get everybody together’ and ‘how can we hold people accountable’. Expectations have been set and its just a matter of making sure everyone does what they need to.  And it’s learning how we all communicate with each other.”  said Mrs. Bright.

Student council did an exceptional job at raising enough money to make graduation happen.

“The class of 2018 has raised approximately $10,000 over the last four years,” said Mr. Garland.

Budgeting and fundraising was one of the simpler tasks student council has had to do. Fundraising money begins freshman year. But that $10,000 doesn’t go just to graduation. It also goes to their high school reunion, the money is also used to buy a gift for the school.

Student council built a team that works together and can overcome problems that stand in their way. They have done well to make demanding plans before spring break. they’ve worked hard and are committed to putting on a smooth ceremony and afterparty. They have, as their motto says, “overcome every trial that was dumb enough to face them.”