Chinese Language Class for Year 2018-2019

Emily Fiala, Reporter

新的中國語文課

(New Chinese Language Class)

By Emily Fiala

Have you ever been interested in the Chinese culture?  Have you ever wanted to learn about Chinese customs and traditions?

Starting in the 2018-2019 school year, there will be a new Chinese language class offered at DHS. This course will offer students an opportunity to learn not only how to read, speak, and write Chinese, but Chinese culture and customs.   

“I’m sure they’ll do all sorts of things with culture. As language teachers, we always try to bring in culture into our classrooms to get the students interested in the people and cultural celebrations, and cultural differences,” said Zoa Stuntz, French teacher and head of the World Language Department at DHS.

DHS has wanted to add a Chinese class for many years. The administration have never been able to find  the right person for the job, but they recently found a candidate that has accepted the job.

“We interviewed last year for a Chinese teacher but they weren’t able to come, so we had to put the class on hold,” said Stuntz.

Not only is Chinese another unique language for students to learn, but it will be beneficial in the modern world to know, especially in foreign relations and trade.

“Chinese is spoken by a lot of people around the world.  It’s a language that people might be interested in taking, just to be more employable and to get more jobs where you might use Chinese,” said Stuntz.  

Since this is such a new course, it’s not definite that there will be advanced classes offered in the future.  

“There’s going to be Chinese 1 and possibly Chinese 2 next year for students who already have taken Chinese. Hopefully they will add a Chinese 3 and possibly a Chinese 4 the next couple of years. That’s the goal, to push it and to help grow the program,” said Stuntz.

It’s not only Stuntz who is excited for a new language to be offered at DHS. Spanish teachers at DHS are delighted to have a new world language course for students to diversify their linguistic skills.

“I think anything that helps broaden students’ worldview is a positive thing. Having traveled quite a bit myself, I think it’s great that we have an opportunity to provide another cultural experience for students,” said Kai Kauppi, a Spanish teacher at DHS.

Kauppi agrees that in the current world, Chinese is a very important language that would be good to have offered at DHS.

“It’s the sign of the times in this modern day with the amount of business that is going on between China and the United States,”said Kauppi.

Overall, this class is an unique and beneficial class to take in the present day world. With all the trade and business that has gone on between the United States and China, along with billions of people fluently speaking Chinese, knowing this language will be an ace up your sleeve.

So if you’re looking into international relations as a potential career or if you are interested in the Chinese culture, don’t hesitate. Sign up for the class!