Detention strides into the DHS Experience

Luke Swift

Detention Happens whenever necessary after school from 3:30-5:00. Students can’t be on their phones, sleep, talk, or play games.

Luke Swift, Reporter

In the DHS community, many students are starting to think twice about skipping class, especially when they are told that they have to attend after-school detention.

The new detention policy, which was formed at the end of Christmas break, was created to ensure that students who were caught cutting class would face a more severe form of punishment than the less effective forms of lunch detention or school suspension.

DHS Assistant Principal Darren Tarshis, along with other members of the administration, are trying to find a new way to incorporate a more traditional detention policy that could also benefit the student while serving their punishment.

“We started an after school detention that we run when needed. We don’t run it on Mondays because of PLCs, or professional learning community meetings,  and we don’t run it on Fridays. It gives students a chance to catch up on work; they can do homework, they can read” said Tarshis.

However the district administration still wanted to create an environment where the student could continue to feel the traditional detention vibe.  

“We run it Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. It starts at 3:30 p.m ends at 5:00 p.m. and is supervised by a staff member. What [students] can’t do is sleep, use electronics, or talk, but most students who have detention are using it to catch up,” said Tarshis.   

So. Ella Devaux states what it was like during this period of time and what she could do. However, she does comment on how some aspects were inconvenient and how it negatively affected her transportation plans.  

“It was basically just a time to catch up, but the simple rules were that couldn’t sleep, you couldn’t be on your phone. It wasn’t too bad, it’s just the most inconvenient part of it was that it ended late. So all of a sudden I had to find another ride home, and it was just an inconvenient time” said Devaux.

She believes that the new policy could be shortened up and her alternative idea to the policy is students could serve a few lunch detentions.

“I would much rather just go in at lunch and sit it out rather than go after school and completely disrupt my after school schedule,” said Devaux.

When it comes to the introduction of the new policy to students, there is a grey area because students know what it is, but they don’t know the specifics.

So. Shaun Coleman comments on how the new policy should be a little more tailored to fit the student based on the magnitude of the action that has been committed.

“It just depends on the severity of the action. Like if someone ditched often, they aren’t going to care, they’re just not going to show up,” said Coleman.

To conclude, the new detention policy is attempting to replace the less effective lunch detentions or schools suspensions, while continuing to benefit the student. But to some students, its seen as more time consuming than beneficial, when it comes to their busy afternoon schedule.