Creative writing sparks learning interest

Jenna Fults, Reporter

Most creative writers at Durango High School realize the absence of a creative writing class and how that impacts them. Though it’s been argued that a creative writing class would distract from learning how to write essays and analyze the English language-teachers and students alike recognize the opportunity a creative writing class could provide for school.

According to a 2005 Harris Poll, ninety three percent of the public agreed that the arts were vital to a well-rounded education for students. Many students agree with this assessment, believing that a creative writing could boost students’ academic progress.

“I think that being able to write expands your mind in a way,” said Sr. Abbi Anderson, a lifelong writer and poet.

It has been long proven that expressive writing expands students’ vocabulary and writing ability, increasing their overall writing skills. Students who write tend to be more self-aware, expressive and creative. While creative writing is certainly not in the same field as analyzing an essay, students are learning other critical skills.

“It helps you do assignments at school, because you have that expanded vocabulary and experience with writing,” said Sr. Layne Clements. School assignments, particularly English assignments, require a certain degree of writing experience.

Students who creatively write are more inclined to use their expanded vocabulary and experience in school work. Since essay writing is distant to expressive writing, Clements agrees that the average English class may not cut it.

“We focus so much on how to write a good essay, how to analyze a thesis and analyze other people’s work, but don’t really focus on our own,” Clements said.

Writing is not just for schoolwork preparation. Many students who write in personal books and journals experience an increase to their mental health, as well as finding a better understanding of relationships. Expressive writing helps many DHS students come to understand the world around them.

“Creative writing helps you understand and empathize with other people,” said Anderson. “It helps you better understand yourself.” She, among many others, has found a safe place in writing, and hopes to contribute back.

“I like writing for people, I want it to help me as much as it helps other people,” said Anderson.

Alexandrea Pinion, an English teacher at Durango High School and supervisor of the Creative Writing Club, believes having a class geared towards creative writing would be a good addition to the school.

“It’s a good way to experience English and the English language without having to worry about a negative grade,” said Pinion. Creative writing, Pinion believes, is for everyone.

“I think it’s been really interesting to see who has joined creative writing club,” said Pinion. Everybody, from fanfic writers to novel writers to those with no experience at all, have participated in the club.

Creative writing may have a place in the school after all. Writing is a safe place for many students to share their feelings and creates a fun and relaxed environment for learning the English language.

“Being able to create something, out of nothing, to just take some random ideas you have and turn them into a novel or a poem that can really impact another person, is just really powerful,” Clements said.

Creative writing is not for everyone- however, for those who do enjoy it, a writing class would be most welcome. Sure enough, many of the students believe that a safe place for creativity and imagination through writing is long overdue.