Ski Team Races to State

Gwen Stoddard, Online Sports Editor

For the first time in several years, the DHS ski team made it to the CHSAA State Ski Championships, representing there community and school in an impressive way. Greeted with a makeshift olympic parade, the team marched through with a DHS banner.

Fr. Maddie Jo Robbins is a skier for the DHS ski team and was very excited to help bring her team to state.

“Our team did really well being the first team Durango has had in more than two decades. A lot of our team had not actually ski raced before so it was awesome to just have a team out there wearing the Durango jersey! It was also cool for me to ski race in such a different scenario with such happy teammates,” said Robbins.

Athletic Director Adam Bright was a huge advocate for getting the Durango ski team off the ground and worked close together with Leah Lesage and DHS principle John Hoerl to make the team successful.

On behalf of the rest of the team Robbins said this about their school sponsors.

“Our team would like to thank Leah Lesage, Mr. Bright, and Mr. Hoerl for getting the high school ski team back together again. It was so fun to represent Durango for the first time in two decades!” said Robbins.

With a promising chance of having a ski team next year as well, the legacy of Demons sports will continue, even on the mountain slopes.