Clubs At DHS

Bekah Moenning , Reporter

Durango High School is known for a variety of different things, and one of them happens to be the vast options of clubs DHS has .to offer. There are 34 clubs throughout the school that meet regularly. The intended purpose of the clubs range from making a large-scale difference in world to simply changing the lives of the individuals who join.

One club focused on the broader picture is Key Club International- an international, student-led organization which provides its members with opportunities to provide service, build character, and develop Leadership. Currently, Key Club is in need of interested students who care for serving people of the world.

Science teacher and Key Club advisor Sarah Rosenkranz explained that the club has only six active members and she is looking for more students intrigued to be apart of a club with a vision to make the world a better place.

“We are caring and competent servant leaders transforming communities worldwide,” Rosenkranz said.

Interact club, advised by history teacher Ed Cash, is another service club that has been proactive in communities all around nearby areas.

Recently, members of the club went on a trip to poverty-stricken Sanostee, New Mexico where they teamed up with a solar panel organization to install solar lights for people living without electricity. They also donated clothes and homemade blankets.

“We did a day’s work of installing solar lights, chopping wood and making blankets on the Navajo Reservation at Sanostee,” Cash said.

Active member and Sr. Peyton Floyd enjoyed the expedition and believed it to be a humbling  and life-changing experience.

“It made me feel incredibly grateful. We drove only two hours and it felt like we were in a third world country. I think we are all very motivated to continue to help,” Floyd said.

Cash said that anybody can join Interact at any time — the club supports exchange students, and they are beginning to plan an international trip for 2017.

Senior Emily Edwards-Colsman is the Durango Chapter Co-President of SkillsUSA, another club at DHS. She explained that SkillsUSA is a partnership between students, teachers and industries they wish to pursue as their career in order to trail them so they are ready for the work force.

“We focus on being a skilled workforce. Our main focuses are personal workplace and technical skills,” Edwards-Colsman said.

SkillsUSA is also known for its outstandingly large competitions.

“It would take 16 football fields to house our national competition,” Edwards-Colsman said.

The many diverse clubs DHS offers welcome in any student who desires to be an active member.