Multi-Sport Athletes

Charlotte Hale , Reporter

Many students represent Durango High School when their sports teams travel, and some of these kids are on more than one team. DHS is not the only school kids want to represent in their athletic careers – college sports are on the horizon for many students.

“Playing three sports makes me a better person, and who I am today,” said So. Lily Chick who plays tennis, volleyball and basketball.

The variation within sports helps students to excel in school and create more opportunities for the future. For some students, being active is what shapes their high school experience and ambitions for life careers.

“Making friends and close teammates that can help me is also why I play more than one sport,” said So. Taylor Wolf who plays both soccer and volleyball.

The bonds that teammates create are unbreakable, and many students want to take that to the next level by going into college sports.

According to the NCSA Athletic Recruiting Center website, in some states up to 20% of kids play more than one sport. Any college athlete can tell you that year-round training can get in the way of being 100% committed to two things.

Students aren’t the only ones involved in more than one sport. DHS Head boy’s Tennis and Boy’s Basketball coach Alan Batiste has serious experience with multi-sport and year-round athletes.

“If kids play soccer in the fall their footwork is really good, which will help them transition to the basketball court, and that is just one example,” said Batiste. “If you are fortunate to play college sports, coaches look for multi-sport athletes.”

The transfer of skills from sport to sport is also acknowledged by the athletes themselves, and translates to off the field activities.

“The things you learn from multi-sports like teamwork and dedication, I can apply to my real life making me a more well-rounded person,” said Jr. Gavin Mestas.

Multi-sport athletes have advantages while playing and when it is time to apply for colleges. But kids who play more than one sport are not the only ones who college and high school coaches are impressed with. Playing year-round sports is another quality that gives some kids the upper hand.  

“Kids are in the competition level of state tournaments, if they do the same thing year after year it becomes easier,” said Batiste, “It’s about repetition.”

When athletes play more than one sport, it not only benefits the players, but the coaches as well. Wanting the team to succeed is the coach’s priority and if multi-sport athletes or year round players help that in any way, coaches will support them.

“I want to play more than one sport in college,” said Chick, “but with year-round training and the seasons my sports are in I don’t know if I will.”

Club sports are often very popular because of the off-season practice they provide. In both high school and college sports programs, the sports that happen on opposite seasons have club going on at the same time as the other sport. This is a clear disadvantage for multi-sport athletes who want to do it all.

“Its keeps kids conditioned and allows them to reinforce the skills of one sport,” said Club Assistant Director Marnie Seserman.  

Many students would love the chance to play multiple sports, but their participation in other extracurricular opportunities can sometimes limit their involvement.