DHS Basketball Baseline

Bekah Moenning , Reporter

As the new basketball season approaches, the top senior players gear up to have an epic last season here at Durango High School. DHS has seen them grow and thrive for many years, now is the chance to see them shine one last time.

Here are five of the top boys and girls senior basketball athletes.

Featured Five Boys:

Kyle Kirkpatrick- Senior

Height: 5’11”

Weight: 140 lbs

Eye Color: Blue

Favorite Basketball Player: Steph Curry

Biggest Goal For The Season: “Win State Championship with the team”

Biggest Influence Outside of Basketball: “My dad just because he really pushes me in not only basketball but academics as well”

Steven Wyman- Senior

Height: 6’5”

Weight: 165 lbs

Eye Color: Blue

Favorite Basketball Player: Michael Jordan

Biggest Goal For The Season: “Main goal as a team is to win state and individually to be a major impact wherever I can on the court”

Biggest Influence Outside of Basketball: “My biggest influence are all of my friends because we always compete with each other which makes me be the best I can be”

Kobe Szura-Senior

Height: 6’2”

Weight: 160 lbs

Eye Color: Hazel

Favorite Basketball Player: Kobe Bryant

Biggest Goal For The Season: “To make it further than we did last year”

Biggest Influence Outside of Basketball: “My mom”

Jordan Shefford-Senior

Height: 5’4”

Weight: 132 lbs

Eye Color: Brown

Favorite Basketball Player: Russell Westbrook

Biggest Goal For The Season: “Win State”

Biggest Influence Outside of Basketball: “I would say Ponch Garcia because he’s taught me a lot about life and a lot about basketball and he really treated me like my dad because I never had one”

Javier Quezada-Senior

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 166 lbs

Eye Color: Brown

Favorite Basketball Player: Allen Iverson

Biggest Goal For the Season: “My biggest goal is to perform my highest and be effective, because all the work I’ve put into the off season will pay off and bring a ring back home”

Biggest Influence Outside of Basketball: “My biggest influence is my mom because she’s a single mother and has a strong work ethic, and has taught me that nothing is given, it’s earned”

Featured Five Girls:

Katrina Chandler- Senior

Height: 5’5”

Weight: 125 lbs

Eye Color: Green

Favorite Basketball Player: Diana Taurasi

Biggest Goal For the Season: “My biggest goal for the season is to make it farther in the state tournament than last year”

Biggest Influence Outside of Basketball: “My biggest influence outside of basketball is my family because of all the support the give and helping me make my dreams become a reality”

Stephanie Bayse- Senior

Height: 5’9”

Weight: 150 lbs

Eye Color: Green

Favorite Basketball Player: Breanna Stewart

Biggest Goal For the Season: “Be league champs and go farther in the state tournament than last year”

Biggest Influence Outside of Basketball: “My family because they always encourage me to be the best I can be, if that is on the court or in life. They are my biggest supporters and I don’t know what I would do or where I would be without them as a basketball player and as a person”

Taylor Edwards- Senior

Height: 5’10”

Weight: 150

Eye Color: Green

Favorite Basketball Player: Maya Moore

Biggest Goal For the Season: “Become league champs”

Biggest Influence Outside of Basketball: “My mom because she is the one person who tells me how it is, and she pushes me in life to be and on the court to become the best player and person I can be”

Jessica Lee- Senior

Height: 5’7”

Weight: 130 lbs

Eye Color: Blue

Favorite Basketball Player: “I don’t have a favorite”

Biggest Goal For the Season: “I want to make it past the top 16 in the state as a team”

Biggest Influence Outside of Basketball: “My biggest influence outside of basketball would be my mom because she encourages me to do my best in every aspect of my life. She helps me stay focused on my academics as well as my sports”

Jordan Baker- Senior

Height: 5’6”

Weight: 140

Eye Color: Green

Biggest Goal For the Season: “My biggest goal for the season is to make it back to the sweet 16”

Biggest Influence Outside of Basketball: “My biggest influence outside of basketball are my parents because they have taught me that life is about more than the little things that we take for granted and that you have to work hard to become successful”