Teachers Daydream about Dream Classes

Abbi Andersen, Reporter

Though the teachers at Durango High School are clearly qualified for the classes they teach, some teachers have dreams of teaching other material that would benefit their students in a variety of ways.

Since the majority of Durango 9-R School District’s funding goes towards salaries, transportation costs, K-12 education and afterschool programs, the school was forced to cut out popular classes like culinary arts, yoga journaling, legal systems and 3-D computer programming. While DHS still has many options for required and extracurricular classes that fit all kinds of interests and abilities, former teachers of these cut classes and other educators alike are saddened by the losses and have dreams of bringing the classes back or creating new ones.

“I wish I could teach yoga journaling because I’ve taught yoga and writing for a long time,” said English teacher Kevinanne Curmano. “I think too many kids are stressed out and overscheduled, and [yoga journaling] was a healthy way to escape that while earning PE and English credit.”

A lot of teachers go into education with only one subject in mind, but some teachers at DHS wish they could teach an engaging and dynamic class not offered at DHS if given the opportunity. Some of these dream courses are similar to what subjects teachers are already teaching.

“If I could teach any kind of class, it would be an Emergency Medical Technician course in conjunction with Anatomy and Physiology because I have a passion for the human body’s abilities,” said science teacher Monte Jackson. “I think this class would be great to teach because it could be useful to anyone and help students become certified EMTs and get a job in that capacity.”

Other dream classes are on completely different subjects.

“I would enjoy teaching students how to scuba dive and about the marine environment because I think it broadens students horizons, both in terms of their own development as well as gaining appreciation for another part of the world that is outside of Durango,” said history teacher Dale Garland.

Some teachers wish to teach a class that is not only academic but also gives students other real-world skills.

“If I were able to teach a dream class it would be a cultural immersion class,” said Australian English teacher Gregg Cornwall. “It would teach students about cultural difference and more importantly how to successfully immerse yourself and adjust to living in another culture.”

Health and Physical Education teacher Tim Fitzpatrick dreams of teaching not only health and indoor PE but also an outdoor education class.

“I would love to teach a combo archery or fly fishing class because those are two things I am passionate about and I really think all kind of students would enjoy it,” said Fitzpatrick.

Other teachers would simply like to teach a class that gives students a break from the stress of everyday life.

“I would want to teach a class on physical education through play because the older we get, the less we play, and I think students could benefit from more levity in their lives,” said math teacher Sabine Furtauer.

A few teachers might not have in mind a dream class but feel that a new curricular structure in general would be beneficial for all students.

“I would be in favor of tracked curriculum with different options such as school-to-work, school-to-college and school-to-undecided with varying classes to match each track,” said history teacher Robert Logan. “I think this would help students figure out who they are through different opportunities.”

Even though the likelihood of making all of these dream courses come true is small, the school may soon slowly integrate certain courses back into the system while teachers continue to excel at their jobs and keep dreaming big.