Animas River Mine Spill

2015 River Pollution

Charlotte Hale, Reporter

Climate change and pollution are national issues that divide people throughout America. The 2016 election has highlighted the controversy on this issue. Durango High School students are involved in discussion about pollution and climate change.

According to Hillary Clinton’s Website, “We will generate enough renewable energy to power every home in America.”

This issue does not stop with average global temperature rising roughly 1.53 degrees Fahrenheit (0.85 degrees Celsius) from 1880 to 2012 according to Atoms News science website. Beautiful areas, such as Durango, are experiencing changes as well. The Gold King mine spill that occurred last summer is a local example of extreme pollution.

“The mines had been seeping before the giant leak, our river is already very polluted.” said DHS science teacher who wished to stay anonymous.

The publicity of the mine spill grabbed people’s attention, but in reality  rivers are still being slowly polluted. There will be problems if nothing is done about mine seepage, until there is another giant toxic spill. It is not the only environmental change that is affecting Durango this year, but tourism is one of the leading sources of revenue in Durango and surrounding towns.

“[This summer] I saw less tourist rafting trips at paradise islands,” said So. Aja Nakai.

If Durango continues to keep polluting and heaving mining there will be repercussions, such a toxic spills or other environmental hazards.

Further pollution of the town, and more specifically the Animas, could affect the national and global situation. Mine spills and the increase of global temperature is a negative thing, which makes for a valid issue in the race for president.

“It is a simple fact that earth temperatures are increasing and sea levels are rising,” said DHS science teacher.

People cannot deny the facts of Global Warming or ignore mine waste. Still, some people still deny it.

In a tweet on November 6, 2012 Donald J. Trump said, “The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.”