Durango Aerospace Design Team Places Second at Internationals

Thirteen Durango High School students collaborated with students from Argentina, Australia, Iowa, and Texas to form Vulture Aviation, a theoretical aerospace company, to write a proposal for a functional settlement on Mars. In the scenario, the year was 2081 and DHS students in collaboration with 37 other students were given a request for proposal (RFP) to design Bradburyom, a settlement in Hellas Basin on Mars capable of sustaining a population of 20,000 residents.

The 42 hour competition began on Saturday July 30 and concluded at 7:30 A.M. Monday August 1st when teams submitted their proposal to a panel of industry experts. The teams combined intensive research and imagination to developed solutions for the for the challenges of living on Mars. From radiation to dust mitigation to physiological problems, DHS students researched and developed solutions to the same problems that industry experts are currently working on.

“The Aerospace Design Competition was undoubtedly beneficial and enjoyable in more ways than I could have ever imagined. Working closely with international students has given me a new appreciation for what can be learned from those with different experiences than our own” said Joe Genualdi. Genulaid has been a member of the Durango Aerospace team for four years and will be attending Vanderbilt in the Fall.