Putting another year in the books

Hailey Anderson, Reporter

Yearbook originally started as the Toltec newspaper, but over time it progressed into the yearbook known today. Since 1905, there has been a long chain of yearbook staff and editors and every set of members have worked very hard.

“They work very hard and don’t have much time to do a lot of work, but somehow they manage to get it all done,” said So. Ruby Epstein.

Epstein has never been a part of the yearbook staff, but she has seen how hard they have to work to achieve the end result they want.

This year, the staff and yearbook teacher Mrs. Colsman have decided to enter the CSPA competition, which judges the overall quality of the yearbook, as well as each separate sections. These smaller sections include, fall sports, academics, mugs, and clubs or activities. The judges will take all of the photographs in the yearbook into account as well.

Colsman has been involved with the high school yearbook class for three years. Colsman has been involved with the program for six years, but only has taught it for two years. Although Colsman spends ten hours a week over contract hours on the book, she feels as if the work put into it is very underappreciated.

“Even with the workload and not being recognized for the work we do, nothing beats watching kids crack the cover for the first time, and seeing them carry it around for  weeks to get signatures,” said Colsman.

Senior Sarah Clark has been an editor for one year but has been in the class for three years. Clark spends two hours a day on layouts but more during a deadline week.

“I feel very accomplished by the books we make, because a lot of hard work goes into them,” said Clark.

Sophomore Sadi McAliney is the sports editor this year, and she hopes to become one of the main editors for next year. McAliney puts three hours into every layout she creates, by putting pictures into it and then writing captions.

“I feel very accomplished after making a book because it’s this big thing I can be proud of. It’s a memory book for everyone,” said McAliney.

DHS alum David Schwantes graduated in 2014 and he bought and enjoyed yearbooks for all four years. Even though Schwantes was never in the class he agreed the yearbook staff worked very hard.

“The staff works pretty hard, especially near the end of the year when they had to add all the prom and spring sports pictures before the deadline,”said Schwantes.

The busiest time of year for the yearbook staff is from February to March, but homecoming week is the hardest time for the photography part of the yearbook because of the sheer number of events.