When I Grow Up . . .

What Teachers Would Be

Rose Fox, Feature Editor

Teaching would be such a horrible job! Most high school students think this thought at least once throughout their minimum of 12 years stuck in classrooms. However, what students don’t think about is the fact that their actual teachers may have thought the exact same thing.

Teachers roaming the halls in DHS often thought about pursuing other careers instead of teaching, but somehow all ended up here.

“Interests change over time, and you never know what sort of events might strike you at the right moment and spin you in whatever direction your life goes,” said history teacher Dave Weisfeldt.

Weisfeldt discussed how if he had a chance to pursue an alternative career, it would involve pure sciences and math or medicine. He also had an interest in becoming a veterinarian, but decided he couldn’t work with sick animals all the time.

Most teachers approach this question the same way students approach what they want to be when they grow up. The common answer is to remain a teacher, or several nonspecific ideas that they haven’t exactly thought out.

English teacher Aaron Eldridge said, “I would probably go back to school and work to get my PhD in literature, but that would probably lead to me teaching again.”

If Eldridge had to pick another career, he would choose something involving travel, or being outdoors and being active. In the past, he was a raft guide and a soccer coach for the DHS girls team. Eldridge would like to do one of those activities again.

Other teachers have their alternate lifestyle all planned out. “I would be a secret agent, like a spy for the CIA,” said history teacher Leigh Gozigian.

In college, Gozigian majored in international relations and felt the need to help the country due to the conditions of the United States while she was in college. She felt her covert spying could be resourceful to the country, and also felt it would be a very exciting job.

Such exciting hopes and dreams prove that adults can have  strong imaginations just like children.

English teacher and avid boater Dan Garner set his sails high in hopes of getting his captain’s license for boating. “I would be a merchant marine captain, so I could spend every day on the water…and play with boats,” said Garner.

Over the years Garner has logged enough sailing hours to be eligible for his captain’s license, and although he became a teacher he still plans to get it eventually. “I like teaching a lot, but who is to say I wont go get my license anyways,” said Garner.

Certain teachers claim they would want to pursue a career that still involved children.

Math teacher Robin Tiles-Fitzpatrick said, “If I wasn’t a teacher I would be a nurse, like a baby nurse. The ones that work with tiny, fresh little babies.”

Tiles originally got her degree in exercise science, and was planning on pursuing some sort of medical assistance. However, a few years later she returned to school and majored in math instead.

Children aren’t the only people asked what they want to be when they grow up, and a lot of teachers have well thought out answers.