Girls swim sends multiple members to state

Elli Earl, Managing Editor

Even though the Demons Girls Swim and Dive team did not top all the podiums in the 2015-2016 season, the year was still full of well-deserved and award winning performances.

At District Championships in Grand Junction, Colo. the Demons took second behind Glenwood Springs High School, disrupting their two time District champion title.

“I was so happy to be at the top and close to first, but it was disappointing at the same time, because we always go for number one,” said Animas High School Jr. Claire Larson.

Even though the girls didn’t nab the first place finish, there were still many performances that blew the competition out of the water. The 200-yard freestyle and the 200-yard medley relays made up of Sr. Anne Mummery, Sr. Elli Earl, So. Violet Witchel and So. Mira Joyner received first and second place, respectively, and broke both of the school records held for that event. Twice.

The 200-yard medley hadn’t been broken since 2012, and the 200-yard freestyle relay hadn’t been close to touched since 2001.

“It was very cool, the way the girls swam. It was just as exciting as watching them break the records,” said Head Coach Tom Joyner.

The relays were not the only exciting swims in Districts. M. Joyner, Witchel, E. Earl and So. Jocelyn Earl all additionally made individual state cuts in the events they swam, and the entire team was full of best times, impressive swims and noteworthy dives.

Freshman Kylie Behn topped the podium with a second place finish in the one meter diving. Behn scored a 307.55, which was three points away from the first place finisher, and also less than three points away from the state qualifying cut of 310.

Dive coach Mark Flemming was impressed with everyone’s performances. “It’s amazing to see how far all the swimmers and divers have come from past seasons to the present season,” he said.

Even for new team members, the atmosphere at Districts proves to be more exciting, helping with the overall team attitude.

“The best part of Districts was being with the team, everyone was really excited and we had a lot of energy so it just made us all ready to swim fast and do our best,” said Fr. Steevie Delio.

Even with the loss at Districts, the Demons still went on to have another good round of performances and the CHSAA State Swim and Dive Competition the following weekend.

The 200-yard relays of M. Joyner, E. Earl, Mummery and Witchel got 12th and eighth place, which are solid rankings for the team. Mummery also placed 12th in the individual 100-yard freestyle. J. Earl competed in the 200 and the 500-yard freestyle, E. Earl in the 200-yard freestyle and the 100-yard breastroke, M. Joyner in the 100-yard fly, and Witchel in the 50 and 100-yard freestyle. The 400-yard freestyle relay of Larson, J. Earl, Jr. Emily Doughty and Animas High School Sr. Catherine Dellinger also competed.

Overall, the performances this year will not be something forgotten soon, and for Sr. Anne Mummery, it was a nice way to end the year.

“It was really awesome to have such amazing swims and break school records. This season was a nice wrap up to my high school swimming career, I am going to really miss it,” she